SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finished book "DOM Scripting" Hungry for more, where to from here?

Hello,

I just finished reading DOM Scripting, a great javascript book. I am very familiar with all aspects of PHP and MySQL, and have read a Head Rush Ajax.

Now I am looking to move onto more advanced javascript, I have grown to love PHP 5's object oriented programming and would like to learn more about Javascripts. Could someone please recommend a good advanced javascript book.

Most of the ones I have found that say they are advanced javasciprt, just deal with DOM or CSS, both of which were covered very well in DOM Scripting.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Professional JavaScript, its quite good. I also recommend "JavaScript Bible". 6th edition is coming out in April.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Javascript: The Definitive Guide(5th Edition)

The 5th edition came out last year.

I have grown to love PHP 5's object oriented programming and would like to learn more about Javascripts.
    I'm not sure how one follows from the other.

Also get an editor that has autocompletion. For instance, in EditPlus I can type a 'd' and then hit the space bar to automatically type 'document.', and then I can type 'gi' and hit the space bar to automatically type 'getElementById(""), with the cursor ending up between the quote marks. So, with only a couple key strokes I can get:

document.getElementById(" ")

EditPlus has an autocompletion file that you can change at will to add combinations of letters and the corresponding code they will produce when you type the letters and then hit the space bar. Some editors have autocompletion but the key combinations to produce the code are so tortured, it's too much of a hassle. The space bar is really convenient, and it is surprising how fast and easily you can type javascript that way.

There are features in EditPlus that should be customizeable and aren't(e.g. the html bar which allows you to click on icons to insert tags in html. No div tag?) and for that reason I can't whole heartedly recommend it. Although, maybe more recent editions have changed.
    Last edited by 7stud; Mar 5, 2007 at 02:27.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also consider James Edward's book "The Javascript Anthology" (co-authored with Cameron Adams). If you have ever read any of brothercake's posts on the internet, you can't help but be impressed by his javascript expertise. He is also a driving force in developing web pages that are accessible to any type of reading device, so I'm sure his book will teach you a lot of practical tips for well designed js and html.