SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanted: Unobtrusive tooltip script to apply tooltip to elements of particular class

Hi,

I've found loads of good tooltip scripts which apply tooltips to every element with a title attribute, or any element of a particular id. However, XHTML defines that there can't be repeat ids in a single page e.g.

Code:
    <a href="" id="tooltip" title="Link with tooltip">Link with tooltip</a>
    <a href="" id="tooltip" title="Another link with tooltip">Another link with tooltip</a>
    plus I don't want tooltips to appear on every element on the page where I have title attributes (it would look messy on my main navigation for example).

What I want to do is find a script which applies a tooltip to all elements with a particular class. e.g.

Code:
    <a href="example.com" title="This link should have no tooltip">This link should have no tooltip</a>

<a href="example.com" title="This link should have a tooltip" class="tooltip">This link should have a tooltip</a>

<a href="example.com" title="This link should also have a tooltip" class="tooltip">This link should also have a tooltip</a>
    This way, I can control which elements on the page have a tooltip in a valid XHTML way.

Does such a script exist, if so, where?

My Javascript skills are zero, so I wouldn't like to attempt to code this myself.

Thanks for any help guys...

I'll take mine raw silver trophy MikeFoster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi danwednesday,

Have a look at this demo: xTooltipGroup.