SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hosting Ruby on Rails

Hi. Newbie so please forgive any dumb questions. Does my website hosting company need to be specially setup to enable me to create a RoR site? or is it something I install as part of my web site 'space'?

Edward

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your host needs to support Ruby for starters. If you are using a bog standard shared host its unlikely that it will.

There are some shared hosts out there that support Rails specifically: you can try checking out Dreamhost and Site5. I've used both and preferred Site5 but my experience with Rails and shared hosting isn't good. Your best bet is a dedicated box or a VPS of some kind.

I have a basic VPS package from rimuhosting.com and on that I can run my Rails apps (using Mongrel behind a nginx proxy) and lighttpd for static/PHP bits and pieces (like Mint stats). Two servers, both on port 80 - the package comes with 2 IP addresses.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Luke. As I suspected...not too straightforward. You lost me there on the third paragraph. Currently with 1and1 in then UK. May have to look, as you suggest, at a host with Ruby.
    Regards, Edward

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Blue Host - seems optimized for Ruby folks if you aren't ready to go dedicated or a full VPS.

Awesome Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Redpath View Post
    There are some shared hosts out there that support Rails specifically: you can try checking out Dreamhost and Site5.
    I'm a Dreamhoster as well and I'm thinking of switching. I haven't actually pushed a home made app into a production environment yet but I have installed Mephisto on Dreamhost and found it to be ridiculously slow. Has anyone here had experience with Rails Playground?