SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I Feel Bad?

Hello, my fellow SitePointees!

I was just facing an interesting dilemma with using classes in PHP4, and I was just curious if I handled it in the best way.

I have been using this "events" class, that basically handles people registering for events. The "events" class extends to another class I have, "credit card" class, which is used to handle payment for events.

Now, here is where I did some thinking: The "events" class also needs access to my "login" class for authenticating users, but PHP only supports single inheritance! I can't extend to another class! Well, I decided to be slick: I created a function within my "events" class, and I had the function create a new object from my "login" class. This solves my problem, but is it the best way to handle the problem? I guess so, but I just wanted some thoughts.
    Patrick Smith
    PHP Programmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's called composition and its fine. Often favoured over complex inheritance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Complex Inheritance? Is that the same as multiple inheritance?
    Patrick Smith
    PHP Programmer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    complex inheritance is not a technical term, or a name for a specific thing. complex was just the adjective I used in this case, but yeah I was thinking of multiple inheritance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since PHP doesn't support multiple inheritance, I guess the best way to go is composition. I'm just curious now if I should even use single inheritance in the first place.
    Patrick Smith
    PHP Programmer

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logitron View Post
    Since PHP doesn't support multiple inheritance, I guess the best way to go is composition. I'm just curious now if I should even use single inheritance in the first place.
    It would depend on the relationship between the objects, of course.

If the new class is to be almost identical to a single class that already exists, minus maybe a new method or changing how a method is implemented, than single inheritance makes a ton of sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that makes sense. Just need to use inheritance or composition on a case by case basis. I'll probably use composition most of the time, but I can see how inheritance can be valuable, too. Thanks for the help!
    Patrick Smith
    PHP Programmer