SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm making a website on super models. The problem is that I cannot locate the owners of many of my pictures. I'm planning on putting those pictures on anyways because these pictures are already available to the public on websites that are free to view. My website will be open to the public, I will not charge a membership fee. My website would only earn money from advertising.

My Questions:

Am I being stupid by ignoring copyright laws?

How big are the chances of me getting in trouble? (Many other websites are already doing the same thing I'm doing)

What is the worse thing that could happen to me if I get caught? (Fine, jail time, ect.)

If an owner sees their picture on my website and does not want them their, is it required that he notifys me before he goes to court?

Thank you for your time.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Not exactly stupid but its not the best course of action. Stealing someone's creation is not a trivial matter.

2. Odds of getting caught are increasing daily.

3. You could lose all of your equipment, be fined, jail time and sued for loss of potential profits by the creator.

4. No.

Just because something is published on the 'Net doesn't make it free. Let's switch places and now your great new website is up. You have even gotten to a few shows and gotten some up close and personal cameos of your favorite models (Everyone get out of the gutter ). You put them on your site, hey its fresh new content and your set. Then I come along and have them on my site within 24 hours. How do you feel now?

This doesn't mean your out of luck either. There are fair use laws that will allow you to use some of the photos on your site without violating copyright as long as credit is given. Write articles about the models instead of just posting pictures. Use some pictures to liven the site up. Post a disclaimer at the bottom stating that you don't know who the owner is but if they come forward you will comply with their wishes. Also try to track down the owners and act proactively instead of reactively.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that I support such a site or anything, but I'd contact some of the other webmasters and start to ask around about all of this...see if you can nail down certain pictures as public domain, and others are private...keep track of which are which...other than that, you'd probably be putting yourself at risk.

If you did "borrow" some pictures and the owner got ticked...you'd probably get a legal-sounding email telling you to either remove the material, or shut down you're site...I doubt the owner would go so far as to sue you without first ordering you to stop what you're doing...but I could be wrong. I just don't find it likely...

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    DomainMailings.com: Who says all the good names are taken?
    MovieForums.com: Talk about you're favorite flicks!

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Cannabal:
    My Questions:

Am I being stupid by ignoring copyright laws?

You need to be careful. In this day and age it is getting a lot easier to track down internet copyright infringement. It would be a good idea to check all the other websites to see if they contain some kind of copyright information on who the photos actually belong to.

How big are the chances of me getting in trouble? (Many other websites are already doing the same thing I'm doing)

It's possible. If you can't locate all the owners of the photographs, put a statement on your website saying that you believe these graphics to be in the public domain, and any such graphics that are copyrighted property will be removed immediately. That might help.

What is the worse thing that could happen to me if I get caught? (Fine, jail time, ect.)

I think at first you might get a legalese letter/email stating that those graphics are legally someone else's property and for you to take them down within 48 hours. If you refuse, they could probably sue you for copyright infringement. I doubt you'd spend any time in jail though..

If an owner sees their picture on my website and does not want them their, is it required that he notifys me before he goes to court?

No, he doesn't have to notify you.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    Sparkie - SitePoint Moderator
    www.pawsitronic.com - The Site to Suit your Style!
    MSN IM: sparkiecat@hotmail.com