SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    SitePoint Wizard Another Designer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,370
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Can I convert 72 dpi to 300 dpi?

    Not sure if this has been asked.
    A newspaper wants to print a photo of mine. They want it in 300 dpi. However, I took the photo at 72 dpi. Can I covert it to 300 dpi without losing any quality of the photo?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you have photoshop

    image > image size > untick the 'resample image' box > change the dpi

    the image data (amount of pixels) remains exactly the same, but now the dpi will be suitable for dumb-*** print people who don't understand the basic fundamentals of digital imagery

  3. #3
    Into another Dimension liam_uk7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, i sense a little bitterness towards print people.
    Function - Great Design Meets Great Functionality

  4. #4
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,354
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewebdev2005 View Post
    if you have photoshop

    image > image size > untick the 'resample image' box > change the dpi

    the image data (amount of pixels) remains exactly the same, but now the dpi will be suitable for dumb-*** print people who don't understand the basic fundamentals of digital imagery


    That is not going to really do you any good. While it will work okay for little increases it will not with a difference of 238dpi.

    Being that it is newspaper print, it is probably not going to be crisp. So if you send in a low res image it's probably going to print worse.

    Simple method to increase the resolution.

    1. Print your picture.
    2. Scan it at 300dpi.
    3. Edit as necessary. (color correction, levels.. sharpness...)
    4. Save and send it to the newspaper.

  5. #5
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, AD, if you took the photo and left it at a decent size after taking it down off your digital camera, you can increase the resolution first to 300 and then reduce down the size of the picture for the printing.

    Usually that gives satisfactory results -- Datura
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  6. #6
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    537
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by conradical View Post


    That is not going to really do you any good. While it will work okay for little increases it will not with a difference of 238dpi.

    Being that it is newspaper print, it is probably not going to be crisp. So if you send in a low res image it's probably going to print worse.

    1. Print your picture.
    2. Scan it at 300dpi.
    3. Edit as necessary. (color correction, levels.. sharpness...)
    4. Save and send it to the newspaper.

    Hmm Sorry but I have to say that IMHO that's very poor advice.

    A digital photo in a camera is measured in pixels. Now whether you set dpi to 72 or 300 the pixel dimensions remain the same e.g let's say a typical 6mp is 2848 x 2136

    at 72 dpi its 2848 x 2136
    if you change the dpi without resampling its still 2848 x 2136

    The image quality hasn't changed. The image is bit for bit identical

    By changing the dpi to 300 without resampling, you can now print it at its natural size without any reprocessing or quality loss at all.

    A 6mp pic of 2848 x 2136 can be printed at 9" x 7" .. unless it's for the front page it's unlikely you'd need bigger than that.

    The same can't be said if however you print it out, then scan it back in you're introducing 2 stages of image degradation, noise increase, loss of dynamic range..

  7. #7
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy conradical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,354
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewebdev2005 View Post
    Hmm Sorry but I have to say that IMHO that's very poor advice.

    A digital photo in a camera is measured in pixels. Now whether you set dpi to 72 or 300 the pixel dimensions remain the same e.g let's say a typical 6mp is 2848 x 2136

    at 72 dpi its 2848 x 2136
    if you change the dpi without resampling its still 2848 x 2136

    The image quality hasn't changed. The image is bit for bit identical

    By changing the dpi to 300 without resampling, you can now print it at its natural size without any reprocessing or quality loss at all.

    A 6mp pic of 2848 x 2136 can be printed at 9" x 7" .. unless it's for the front page it's unlikely you'd need bigger than that.

    The same can't be said if however you print it out, then scan it back in you're introducing 2 stages of image degradation, noise increase, loss of dynamic range..
    True. I for some reason assumed it was 72 and the dimensions were less about 5X3... assuming the size of the image either to be large or small can result in incorrect input.

  8. #8
    SitePoint Member dbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    24
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use PhotoZoom Professional and zoom your image using 300dpi. that should work!

  9. #9
    SitePoint Member salescrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grab a camera, take another picture with the highest resolution. change the dpi in photoshop.
    may all be peace & joy.

  10. #10
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But isn't it a moot point unless the image has enough pixels to warrant 300dpi?

    What is his pixels?

  11. #11
    SitePoint Zealot LYM.randy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Exactly
    ...and if death comes so cheap,
    then the same goes for life - the CLASH

  12. #12
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,813
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Converting the image from 72dpi to 300dpi will reduce the overall size of the image to just over 1/18 of the original size. If the image is big enough to be reduced by that much then there is no problem. If reducing the image by that much makes it too small then the image can't be converted.
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  13. #13
    Design Addict helix7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    440
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't 300dpi overkill for a newspaper print anyway? I always thought something in the neighborhood of 180-200dpi was max for newspapers to handle dot gain.

  14. #14
    SitePoint Zealot LYM.randy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seriously!
    I mean 300dpi is for max quality print jobs at the highest possible ink saturation
    ...and if death comes so cheap,
    then the same goes for life - the CLASH

  15. #15
    SitePoint Enthusiast LucDeacu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3000dpi is a bit much for a newspaper. Who knows what they were thinking when they told you that.
    WebTouchUp.com
    Website touch-ups at flat rates! 64 hour turn-around time!
    Why get a re-design when you can get an upgrade?

  16. #16
    SitePoint Member sipher69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Little Paris '43
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    irfanview is a little powerful tool for resize/resample. as luc said 300 DPI si too much for a newspaper.
    Art is older than production for use, and play older than work.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •