SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggest Easy CMS for school reunion site?

I have a client who'd like us to build a site that could be used for a 40 year school reunion. Idea would be that classmates, or widows, could post/collaborate. He's not into the usual free stuff, ie wants it to be somewhat private - not just anyone can post.

Initially, I thought of a blog, but really, it's not a diary. The idea is that classmates could post their own biographies (where they've been the last 40 years), and other classmates could browse these bios, maybe even commetn/say hello.

CMS? I'm vaguely familiar with Mambo, and I think it's waaaay too complicated for this client, and this purpose. Joomla? What little I know of it, it may also be too robust, too complicated.

Then there's me. Easy installation, don't want to have to re-write PHP.

Easy, for both me and the client, would be the key.

Any and all suggestions welcome!!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You probably could use wordpress. It is a blogging tool, but there is also the capability for pages to be added. there are plugins available that show only the pages and not the blog posts. The only problem with this is that some people may be confused with creating or managing a post instead of a page...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I've heard of Wordpress, but I've never tried it. I will take a good look at it.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey aherdofmoose,

Wordpress may fit the bill for you and I think it's a great system, but you may also want to look at www.bigmedium.com or their beta at beta.bigmedium.com

From my experience it's easier to work with than Joomla and easier to work into just about any kind of design you want to create.

If you're not into design, than Wordpress would probably be the way to go since there are so many great templates available that can always be customized fairly easily.

Good luck!

Steve

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, that's a new one on me. Thank you. I've had my head stuck in either blogs, or the PHP/MySQL space. Neither of which I'm an expert on.

Would I need to know any Perl?

Perhaps I need CMS for Dummies. In the end I'm just a designer who can sometimes hack together a PHP script. As for IT support, I'm kind of it, no pun intended.

Does anyone know anything about Tucows Website Builder?
    http://resellers.tucows.com/wholesal...der/index_html
    It's something I've been eyeballing from afar, but haven't done a test drive.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aherdofmoose View Post
    In the end I'm just a designer who can sometimes hack together a PHP script. As for IT support, I'm kind of it, no pun intended.
    Alright - so I'm not the only one!

As far as Big Medium goes, you don't need knowledge of anything really, and if you've ever installed another script on your server the installation should take you all of 5 minutes.

I've been following the project for a few years and the developer is fantastic, so if you have any questions not answered on the site, post in the forum and you'll probably get a reply the same day.

Don't know anything about the Tucows sitebuilder, but so many hosts offer all kinds of different sitebuilders you could try any number of those out if you want.

If you still want to do some more shopping, take a look at both http://www.cmsmatrix.org/ and http://www.opensourcecms.com/ . Sorry if that confuses the issue more, but I always like to consider ALL my options first and if you can't find a capable CMS listed at either one of those sites....it doesn't exist!

Reagrds,

Steve

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about something like this:
    http://www.yourmembership.com/products/
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright - so I'm not the only one!
    Ditto!

The cmsmatrix does have the tendency to make one's eye glaze, but for the purpose of defending the selection to onself, it's pretty good.

The youralumni also looks interesting, but I fear it might be too robust, and over the client's budget. It's more a reunion, than a full blown alumni. Thanks for the tip, though.

I might end up trying Big Medium. I hope it's as painless as it looks!

Thanks!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aherdofmoose View Post
    I might end up trying Big Medium. I hope it's as painless as it looks!
    I'll admit that Big Medium took me a bit to get used to the admin side of things, learning where and how to do things, but I feel the beta is much improved and that's what I'm using now for the site I'm working on.

While the documentation for the system is excellent, If you ever have questions just jump on their forum and you'll likely get a reply from the developer himself within 24 hours...or feel free to ask me if it's something easy!

Steve

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about Subdreamer?

Perfectly painless, and integrates with vBulletin, and several photo galleries.
    TheWeighWeWere.com - Weight Loss Success Stories from A to Z!

oops, I did it again...re-relaunced July '07

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    What about Subdreamer?

Perfectly painless, and integrates with vBulletin, and several photo galleries.
    I agree, check them out. It's a great set of scripts and it's simple to use.