SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP Search Engine

I am currently working on developing a search engine using PHP/MySQL. My goal is to try and develop a search engine similar to that of Google and/or Yahoo. To build my database of search results I want to allow users to submit their URL, and I will have a script that indexes their site and adds it to my database. My database has the following columns: id, title, url, description, and keywords. Does anyone know how I should index sites. Is this to be done with a PHP script or do I need to create an actual program to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    GeneralForum
    - To hell with the rest...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you cant do it with php/ mysql, way too server heavy.youll need a spider to index sites

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Writing a search engine is pretty involved. I suggest looking into open source projects before diving into coding. Google first!. I know phpdig uses mysql as backend engine. I also recommend you read about inverted indexes.

good luck.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help and also the good luck, but I want to develop some leading edge sites and play a major role in the web design industry so I am cut out for lots of work.
    GeneralForum

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck and Mysql is the best ..BUT not for that kind of load as mentioned ..talk about slow and time outs ..it will kill your results at best .. Large jobs require larger solutions .. SQL.. Oracle and so on..

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first check what is done in open source search engine projects, them grab from them the best techniques and keep going

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you think I need to use SQL or Oracle and stay away from MySQL for this project.
    GeneralForum

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HighCaliber, how many listings are you thinking of getting into your database?

I spidered 4 million urls last month on my dedicated daul core server. I get about 50,000 searchs a day. Its a small traffic amount but everyone has to start somewhere.

Don't try and beat google, your only going to hurt yourself, instead make a small goal and go for it, then make a bigger goal etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dean Wilson, I am curious to learn how u spidered 4 million urls i am also looking to do something samller than this for my project. Cud u help me out here? I have no clue how to proceed here.