SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE Spacing Issue

I am relatively new to CSS, this is my second full CSS site.

There is one minor issue I am having with a design and a spacing issue that only appears in IE.

http://landexcorp.com/clients/gogreen/page2.html

There is a minor space between the green bar and gray bar that only shows up in IE.

Any other suggestions on ways for me to write better CSS I am open too!

Thanks in advance!

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to float "#menu ul" right and trigger hasLayout [1] on #menu.

You are using <br>s and <b>s where you should be using a header element (<h#>). In this case <h2> might be best.

Please fix your XHTML errors. XHTML documents must be error free.

Your CSS is fairly well written, except that "custom" is not a valid value for the list-style-type property.

[1] To understand what hasLayout is and how to give it to an element, read these: (I discourage the use of the underscore hack, which the first one recommends though.)
    http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html
    On Having "Layout"
    "HasLayout" Overview
    A TripSwitch? - set hasLayout to true without a dimension
    IE/Win: inline-block and hasLayout
    Clarification of inline-block and hasLayout
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much Kravvitz, you are a guru!

Two more questions:
    1. H2's I understand over B in this case. What do I replace <br /> with <p>???

2. In the XHTML check it comes up with a bunch of wierd errors about my external URL's and get variables, is that now allowed?

PS new url: http://landexcorp.com/clients/gogree...=AboutJillBuck

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1)
    Code:
    Upon graduation from the University of Illinois in 1991, Jill Buck was commissioned a Naval Officer. While stationed at the Fleet Training Center, San Diego, she served as the Legal, Physical Security, Admin, and Command Inspection Officer, as well as a Damage Control Instructor. She is an honor graduate of the Military Justice School, and a graduate of the Navy’s small arms weapons course, taught by former Navy Seals.
    <br />
    <br />
    In 2002, Jill wrote the Go Green Initiative, which is now the largest and fastest growing comprehensive environmental education program in the nation, operating in 30 states, the UK, and in Cameroon, Africa. [...] Jill is a featured speaker at environmental and PTA conventions across the country, and has been featured in such publications as U.S. Mayor, NSBA newsletter, Working Mother Magazine, Women’s Health Magazine, Diablo Magazine’s “Women to Watch”. 
    <br />
    <br />
    <b>Jill’s community service includes;</b>
    <br />
    <br />
    should be marked up as
    Code:
    <p>Upon graduation from the University of Illinois in 1991, Jill Buck was commissioned a Naval Officer. While stationed at the Fleet Training Center, San Diego, she served as the Legal, Physical Security, Admin, and Command Inspection Officer, as well as a Damage Control Instructor. She is an honor graduate of the Military Justice School, and a graduate of the Navy’s small arms weapons course, taught by former Navy Seals.</p>

<p>In 2002, Jill wrote the Go Green Initiative, which is now the largest and fastest growing comprehensive environmental education program in the nation, operating in 30 states, the UK, and in Cameroon, Africa. The program has been endorsed by the National School Boards Association (NSBA), National Recycling Coalition, 6 State PTA&rsquo;s, California Integrated Waste Management Board, California Resource Recovery Association, and many more. Jill is a featured speaker at environmental and PTA conventions across the country, and has been featured in such publications as U.S. Mayor, NSBA newsletter, Working Mother Magazine, Women&rsquo;s Health Magazine, Diablo Magazine&rsquo;s &ldquo;Women to Watch&rdquo;.</p>

<h2>Jill&rsquo;s community service includes:</h2>
    2) A lot of the errors are there because you have server-side code in the file that isn't being parsed. Some of the other errors are because you are using characters that aren't in the character set you are using. You need to replace those characters with character entities like I did above. I suggest you read Bulletproof HTML: 37 Steps to Perfect Markup.
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.