SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

regex to validate email

I'm trying to write a regex that will optimally allow any valid email, and disallow any invalid one.
    The rules I've assumed are:
    1) Any combination of letters/numbers/dots/underscores before the @ symbol
    2)a domain of at least 2 letters, with a tld of either exactly 3 letters (ie .com), or 2.2 ie .co.uk

Are these rules accurate/adequate?
    Is the regex below a decent representation of these rules?

Bear in mind I'm still learning regex, so please be constructive with any criticism!

^[a-zA-Z0-9\._]+@[a-zA-Z0-9\.]{2,}\.([a-zA-Z]{3}|([a-zA-Z0-9]{2}\.[a-zA-Z0-9]{2}))$
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one's pretty complete (from the Firefox Regular Expression Tester Extension):
    Code:
    ^[a-z0-9_\-]+(\.[_a-z0-9\-]+)*@([_a-z0-9\-]+\.)+([a-z]{2}|aero|arpa|biz|com|coop|edu|gov|info|int|jobs|mil|museum|name|nato|net|org|pro|travel)$
    Yours doesn't allow for all those funny TLDs. Also, it assumes that the address will end with something like .com or .net or .co.uk or .co.jp, but not simply .fr or .ws. It'll also fail for .com.ar, .net.pe and the likes.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to consider checking to see if the domain of the email address you're validating is actually registered. A function like getmxrr() should do the trick (after separating the username from the domain, of course).
    MattsBlog.Ca
    LiveMP -- Coming soon!

Obey the Purebreed trib4lmaniac's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's usually best to be as permissive as you can with this sort of thing (though possibly not depending on what you're doing).
    I usually just check to make sure it look somewhat like a valid email; but I certainly don't check for individual TLDs and the like. You also have to watch out for funny charsets, your current regex won't allow for any non-English foreign characters.

If you try too hard to create the perfect email validating regular expression, you might end up with something like this

Who turned the lights out !! Mandes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trib4lmaniac View Post
    If you try too hard to create the perfect email validating regular expression, you might end up with something like this

Thats great, I'm now wondering who sat and worked that out, thats on the wall for sure. Thanks
    A Little Knowledge Is A Very Dangerous Thing.......
    That Makes Me A Lethal Weapon !!!!!!!!

Contract PHP Programming

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trib4lmaniac View Post
    It's usually best to be as permissive as you can with this sort of thing (though possibly not depending on what you're doing).
    I usually just check to make sure it look somewhat like a valid email; but I certainly don't check for individual TLDs and the like. You also have to watch out for funny charsets, your current regex won't allow for any non-English foreign characters.

Funny, but that code just repeats itself, so it's not that funny.
    MattsBlog.Ca
    LiveMP -- Coming soon!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    This one's pretty complete (from the Firefox Regular Expression Tester Extension):
    Code:
    ^[a-z0-9_\-]+(\.[_a-z0-9\-]+)*@([_a-z0-9\-]+\.)+([a-z]{2}|aero|arpa|biz|com|coop|edu|gov|info|int|jobs|mil|museum|name|nato|net|org|pro|travel)$
    Yours doesn't allow for all those funny TLDs. Also, it assumes that the address will end with something like .com or .net or .co.uk or .co.jp, but not simply .fr or .ws. It'll also fail for .com.ar, .net.pe and the likes.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedboxer View Post
    You might want to consider checking to see if the domain of the email address you're validating is actually registered. A function like getmxrr() should do the trick (after separating the username from the domain, of course).
    From the page you link to...

Note: This function should not be used for the purposes of address verification. Only the mailexchangers found in DNS are returned, however, according to RFC 2821 when no mail exchangers are listed, hostname itself should be used as the only mail exchanger with a priority of 0.
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this function does the job for me, it is probably more an accept all type, but at least it stops muppets from entering email@myemail. etc.
    PHP Code:
    function valid_email($email)
    {

$pattern '/^\w[-.\w]*@([-a-z0-9]+\.)+[a-z]{2,4}$/i';

if (!
    preg_match($pattern,$email)) return false; else return true;

Studiotime - Time Management for Web Developers
    to-do's, messages, invoicing, reporting - 30 day free trial!
    Thomas Multimedia Web Development

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the only good approach I've seen:

http://iamcal.com/publish/articles/php/parsing_email
    Chris Shiflett
    http://shiflett.org/