SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast imagenesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it worth it (learning Ruby On Rails)

I started the Agile book and got to around page 120. I wasnt particulary enthralled by Rails but it was probably because it a bit frustrating because I am a complete newb to Ruby. In anycase, I am fairly familiar with PHP (not OOP PHP) and I am now looking into spending time working on a framework and delving into OOP. I've used OOP brefily in my Java Computer Sci I and II classes but those were slack off classes and I had no personal ($$$) motivation to actuall pay attention/learn anything useful. I grasp OOP and how it works etc but just havent implemented it into a web application yet. I have several major projects lined up so picking an effecive, web 2.0 (AJAX) framework is essential. So this is my main question, is Rails worth the tedius task of learning Ruby which looks completel alien to me, or should I just do what I know and use Code Ignitor?

Also, I didn't really like the Agile book as a beginner because, althought I was correctly programming the online shop application, I didnt fully understand how the relationships in the syntax worked in a general way in Ruby. I understood the logic of the application but outside of what I was instructed to write in the book, I probably couldnt write anything. Which wasn't the case with PHP when I first started learning it. Furthermore, if I had a better grasp of the language, in some case I wouldnt write the application as instructed. It seemed as if some the chapters were there simply to give the reader a bigger view into what Rails can do as opposed to developing a sense of correct application developement (this pissed me off)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't answer your ruby question, but I might point out that if you haven't used OOP principles in your applications, you can't have grasped OOP that well to begin with. Maybe you should go back and learn Ruby on its own, then dive into rails.
    Bring out our hope and reason, before we pine away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if you're prepared to spend more money on a book, but it sounds like SitePoint's Ruby on Rails book might fill the gap that you are looking for. Of course that's what I'd say, being the technical editor for the book, right? Well, yes. But I really do believe that our book does a great job of communicating the relationships between the various parts of Rails -- things that the Agile book glosses over. There is also a lengthy chapter on OOP and Ruby syntax which helps form a solid foundation before you do any Rails stuff.

When we set out to commission this book at the start of last year, we decided it would be more of a beginner book than the Agile book which we had read and formed a similar opinion to what you've expressed here. I personally think Patrick has done a great job of filling that gap. It also does a great job of introducing the reader to developing good habits and a best practice approach to writing web applications, which I think is the real value that the book offers in the long term.

Something to think about anyway. In answer to your question, I would say the answer is definitely yes. Once you "get" Ruby you won't want to go back...
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Read my blog.
    Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruby on Rails is very much worth learning. It's really pretty easy and intuitive. As an experienced PHP programmer I caught onto it pretty well after just a couple weeks.

I would say work through the shopping cart app the book uses as an example, just to kind of see how things are done, then start on your own little test app to really learn the language.
    Duhhhrrrrrr Buy My Stupid eBook !!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i also read some chapters of agile book and i didn't like it. Instead i'm learning from sitepoint's book and it is very informative and well structured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. I'm gonna finish the agile book and then start on the sitepoint book. How fast do you think I would have a good grasp to write a full scale commercial application? ( I am smart, atleast I like to think so, 1600 SAT score )

SitePoint Guru silver trophy Luke Redpath's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    imagenesis: no offence but your SAT score isn't really relevant. How well you graps object-oriented programming is the key here. If you have no experience with OOP, then I wouldn't advise jumping into Rails, or any OO-based framework in any language first. Instead I'd get to grips with OOP in the lanaguage of your choice. Ruby is an excellent choice because it is fully-OO (everything is an object). Once you've got to grips with this, and the basics of design patterns, then I would revisit Rails.

You can learn to use Rails without the above but you wouldn't be getting the best out of it and your code probably won't be the greatest!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im on it already. Almost finished the Agile Book today and I'll start on the Sitepoint book tomorrow. I understand OOP is important and I understand it as well.