SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gaining Return Visitors

I think a lot of people are focusing too much on bringing in new visitors, and not enough on bringing back old visitors. At the moment, roughly 15% of my visitors are return visitors. I think that's pretty low, although I don't know of any other people's stats. I'd like to double it within a few months.

I gave it some thought, and I think adding an RSS feed and a comment system would make some people come back. So I have three questions:

1. Those of you who have one and/or the other, do they seem to make people return to your site? How affective do you think each one is in bringing people back?

2. Do you find yourself coming back to sites with RSS feeds and/or comments more often than to sites that don't?

3. What are some other methods of bringing people back? (Please don't mention a "forum," since that's an enormous task and won't be affective until it's very active, which takes years)

Also, if you wish, share the percentage of your return visitors and tell us why you think it's that high/low.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't wish forum you can Create a old customer Center with a blog, this will help you to locate your old customers and reunite just like "to locate your old friends, classmates" ......the chance is that Some of them will only visit once or twice--but others might return again and again and find you back. This will attract new visitors as well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've considered blogs too... Some times I wish I had a blog, because I can get chatty at times. However, the thing with blogs is that if you don't update for several days/weeks straight (even only once), you'll probably lose most of your readership.

So personally, there are too many times when I would probably leave the blog unattended for too long (I sail in the summer for 2 months, I get lazy, I have too much work piled on, etc.).

So it's a bit problematic for me, which is why I don't consider it to be a solution.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The

The best way to increase return traffic is to frequently update your content and make sure your visitors know that your site is frequently updated. A blog is especially good for this reason. However, if you plan to do weekly, monthly updates of certain sections of your site, do add that information to your home page or other high traffic pages. If you're worried about integrating it with your content, put it in a text box somewhere and use a background color to increase its visibility.

You can also add a "bookmark this page" script or "make this page your homepage" line to your site. Of the two, I prefer the first since it seems that most people these days have a google or yahoo home page. Your chance of becoming their home page is slim.

Put your content into an RSS feed that people can put on their Google homepage or suggest they tag it at one of the social networking sites. Here, the latter not only helps them get back to your page but can also give your site more exposure to their circle of contacts.

Finally, there's always the opt-in newsletter list. My problem with them is that they take a considerable amount of time and effort to keep up, but the moment you don't keep up with them, you lose subscribers - sometimes not through unsubscription but just getting hit with the delete button.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eeight View Post
    I've considered blogs too... Some times I wish I had a blog, because I can get chatty at times. However, the thing with blogs is that if you don't update for several days/weeks straight (even only once), you'll probably lose most of your readership.

So personally, there are too many times when I would probably leave the blog unattended for too long (I sail in the summer for 2 months, I get lazy, I have too much work piled on, etc.).

So it's a bit problematic for me, which is why I don't consider it to be a solution.

i think their is a way to write articles in advance like 10 and have them published on your site automatic every so often days.