SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict michael - ohio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why is automated BU of MySQL DB so hard?

I can't seem to find an inexpensive solution to automated database basckup of my MySQL database that is on my hosts (MS) server... any suggestions? The server does have Php installed - and can run ASP.

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mysqldump is free. and most tape backup programs will run a command before it starts. write a batch file to delete the previous dump file and run mysqldump.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - but MySQLDUMP is a command, not a back-up system. I need to implement a professional, reliable scheduled backup system on a mission critical MySQL database. I just don't see any products out there that most people would point to as 'the' program to use.

With all of the commercial implementations of MySQL DB's I can't understand why there isn't a standout product to back up the database on a scheduled basis.

- michael

Quote Originally Posted by longneck View Post
    mysqldump is free. and most tape backup programs will run a command before it starts. write a batch file to delete the previous dump file and run mysqldump.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MySqldump + scheduled tasks + regular backups (Vertas/Windows/Some other command copying the files to a remote site) works great for me.

reads the ********* Crier silver trophybronze trophy longneck's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you want something big and commercial? go by a product.

you asked for inexpensive. mysqldump is about as inexpensive as it gets: not only is it free, but it's included with mysql.

see http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...71&postcount=2 for a summary of the easily available backup options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by longneck View Post
    you want something big and commercial? go by a product. you asked for inexpensive.
    Yes - I said inexpensive - and system. Free is fine, but not a requirement. I have no objection to buying a product.

I prefer a comprehensive system of backup - not just a scheduled dump of the files. Thank you for the link - along with the other related threads/links - are very helpful. The discussion of using a dump, then binary logs for incremental/differential backups is interesting. Is there a commercial product or php class that simplifies the set-up of a system for this?

Anyone familiar with Zmanda opensource backup?

There's a FREE "Community Edition"
    http://www.zmanda.com/zrm-mysql-community.html

and a Commercial Edition that's $200 (level 1) or $500 (level 2)
    http://www.zmanda.com/backup-mysql.h...FRlmWAodfTDvuw

from their website:

Zmanda Recovery Manager for MySQL
    With ZRM for MySQL you can:

Schedule full and incremental backups of your MySQL database.
    Start immediate backup or postpone scheduled backups based on thresholds defined by you.
    Choose to do (more flexible) logical or (faster) raw backups of your database.
    Perform backup that is the best match for your storage engine and your MySQL configuration.
    Backup your remote MySQL database through a firewall.
    Configure on-the-fly compression and/or encryption of your backups to meet your storage and security needs.
    Get e-mail notification about the status of your backups and receive backup reports via RSS feed.
    Monitor and browse your backups.
    Define retention policies and delete backups that have expired.
    Recover a database easily to any point in time or to any particular transaction, e.g. just before a user made an error.
    Parse binary logs to search and filter MySQL logs for operational and security reasons.

- michael
    Last edited by michael - ohio; Feb 16, 2007 at 03:12.