SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Austin is a pretty high tech city so you might just want to go to one of the big companies (Dell, AMD, Vignette, etc.) and see if they are in need of a web designer and would be willing to train you. It's always worth a try.

It is also a really good idea to spend quite a bit of time reading web designing tutorials online to get a feel of the work itself. You'll probably learn a lot more this way than by attending any class. The only training you'll really need is for any specialized areas that your potential employers would like you to cover.

The other thing to keep in mind is that most web designers (at least those in these forums) are self-employed, and many of us have also taught ourselves the trade. If you just read a lot of tutorials, visit a lot of sites, and ask questions when you need help, you'll be well on your way to becoming a good web designer.

By the way, I live in Killeen, Texas (about an hour from you). If you ever need any advice, drop me an email. My email address is in my profile. Good luck!

------------------
    Eric Radtke
    Web Services: DevStorm Web Design |InterSurge Hosting (coming soon)
    Web Tools: Web Site Resource | FreeWebSiteTools

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lostontheweb,
    It's great that you want to get into the area of web design! It is a really run and exciting field and I think that you will enjoy it.

Probably the best way to get started is to learn HTML (if you haven't already) and then CSS. I hear that the book "HTML for Dummies" is a good place to start, but I can't tell you from experience, since I have learned all of my design skills online.

If you want to learn programming languages as well, I recommend that you learn CGI, Perl, and Asp (at least).

As for how much you can make:
    Depending on your experience/level of expertise, you can get a job with companies such as Lycos, Yahoo, Amazon, etc. as a "Web Developer" or "Web Manager". These types of jobs can get you anywhere from $25,000 to $50,000+/year.

If you are thinking about going into business for yourself, your income becomes unpredictable for awhile. You may get anywhere from 2 to "?" jobs a month, and your income is based on whether or not you charge per-contract or per-hour.

The only time you can really calculate a approximate income figure is if you land a few jobs that will bring in money each month (i.e. you land a contract to update a car dealership's online catalog).

One thing that neither I, nor any other designer can stress enough is Ask Questions, Ask Questions, Ask Questions! Here in the forums we are here to help with any problems you may run into - and no question is "dumb".

That's all I can offer right now, since I am pressed for time. Wanye or Sparkie, you want to offer some of your expertise?

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Isaiah Walter - Founder and Owner
    Federation Fire - Internet Solutions
    Isaiahacs@aol.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to change jobs and become a web designer. What can I expect to make? I live in Austin, Texas. I am having trouble finding a place to get web design training. I need to attend class in the evening and a lot of the schools are not willing to train in the evening. It's not "cost efective".I make about 32k a year delivering furniture and I've been doing it for 8yrs now. It's time for a change. Can i expect to make that much or more? Please help I have the drive to learn but have no idea where to start. thanx.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll add a question if that's okat with you all.

Do the Web designers get most of their business from local stores (i.e. going up to their manager in real life and talking), or from the Web or their Website?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lostontheweb,

You may also want to stop in your local Barnes & Nobles and browse the web design/programming section. I would recommend buying something basic like a for 'Dummies' type of book that covers multiple areas of web design and development. You can't build a career on it, but it will give some ideas of where to start at a more in-depth approach.

You may also want to check with local community college. They may not have a specific degree for web design, but they will offer some of the core classes. I've found that on-line forums and tutorials, books, and college classes compliment one another.

If you do dig in and find that you like it, I would reccomend a book that I am currently reading -- "The Complete Reference - Web Design".

------------------
    IMHO,
    Westmich
    Your opportunity on the web is now!
    westmichiganweb.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lostontheweb:
    As for learning HTML, I picked up Laura Lemay's "Learn HTML 3.2 in 7 Days" and taught myself HTML. I still go back to that book to look up info. I'm just getting into webdesign--doing my own stuff for my business and starting to do things for friends that want websites for thier businesses. By far most of what I have learned has been visiting this forum, and going to the various Perl and CGI sites listed in the coding section under the Webmaster Resources. Another good resource site is www.bignosebird.com. I don't have any extra time to go to school to learn this stuff, so self teaching has been a necessity. Good luck
    --Bill

------------------
    Lake Superior Smokin' Brews
    Make It Different: Brew Your Own!
    www.smokinbrews.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quinn,
    I don't know about everyone else, but most of my jobs so far have come about by offline methods. Some came from word-of-mouth advertising, others from offline ads, and others from, like you said, going up to the manager/owner/whoever and talking to them.

I cold call with the phone from time to time and I usually generate an interest in about 1-2 people out of 10 calls, which isn't bad. While it isn't bad, some of those people decide not to do it "at this time", but are more than willing to let me call them back at a later date to see if they "are ready".

With all the web designers on the Internet, I personally believe that you generate a better response by going out and talking with people in person (make an appointment if you can). This shows people that you are an actual person who is there to help them (people love that!).

When people find you through an online source, they are more likely than not "comparing" you to hundreds of other designers. Some of these designers may not necessarily have a "better" site, but a fancier, "flashy" site, which impresses them (if they don't know much about the Internet and what quality web design is).

Obviously you need a web site to show your work and skills, but I highly recommend going out into the business community and personally talking with owners, letting them know who you are, what you do, and what you can do for them.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Isaiah Walter - Founder and Owner
    Federation Fire - Internet Solutions
    Isaiahacs@aol.com

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for information on web design salaries and pricing, check out:
    http://webdesign.about.com/compute/w...subpricing.htm

Lots of good advice and information on what a web designer can expect to earn.

Hope it helps!

------------------
    Sparkie - SitePoint Moderator
    www.pawsitronic.com - The Site to Suit your Style!
    MSN IM: sparkiecat@hotmail.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going by that I should at least triple my hourly fees.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone here hold any type of free seminars or training classes in an attempt to drum up new paying business?

If so, have they been successful?

Thanks,
    Mark http://www.phillylist.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi lost!
    I don't know about web design jobs in America, but we have a design school on our website that will teach you html and other stuff, at your leisure. the address is http:www.e23.ie
    hope this helps,
    Helena