SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd start a "web comment" thread, an area where we can speak our minds about web sites that we have been to. Talk about those we like, those that frustrate, how to improve them, etc. If anyone objects, please tell me. Otherwise, I will begin a web site comment on SitePoint.com and its web property network.

-- SitePoint.com Web Comment
    In my opinion, this site approaches perfect. It is easy to navigate, looks great, and is packed with content. Best of all, it is interactive (this message board entertains and informs thousands of webmasters like myself, I'm sure.) Being a critical web designer, I have been browsing and absorbing many of the neat articles, subconsciously looking for something to pick on. Nothing. Every article is written well and with authority. The site is a good experience for me. My congrats to the designers/admins that manage it.

David http://www.web-master.tv
    Web-Master.tv: The channel for webmasters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally don't know if any site out there comes close to perfect for me. I personally think the layout of the network is a bit redundant and somewhat pointless at times.

The site gets a 9 out of 10 on my scale. The only two significant changes I'd suggest are to change the way the network is laid out somewhat (probably impossible at this point, though) and update more often.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    DomainMailings.com: Who says all the good names are taken?
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say that SitePoint is actually the BEST web site I've been to in a while if not the best ever. I really think the layout is nice; the design is superb; and the community feeling pulls it all together and makes is 10/10 on my scale!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The major objection I have about Sitepoint is that it takes a really long time to load on my browser because of all the images they use.

------------------
    Martin Kretzmann
    Plebius Press - A progressive perspective, and some scripts too.
    "Insert favorite quote here"

Gong!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, it sure takes forever. Average time is something like 15-20 seconds with my 33,6kbps dial-up.

That's why I don't actually use Sitepoint at all, only these message boards. The content is nice, but I can get quite the same by using other, faster web sites.

But as in almost everything, it is impossible to please everyone. If you like it, use it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i guess im lucky - SP loads fast on my T1 a suggestion: a search option would be nice.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no problem on either T1 connection, DSL or dialup with loading times. 8-10 seconds.

Temis:
    Look under the top Banner Ad on the Sitepoint main page for search and above it on the sub-sites. Which is confusing it should be in the same place all the time.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad that this thread is becoming popular... Maybe we should gravitate to a new web site. Give us a URL and we'll all talk about it. (Hint: it is sometimes fun to make fun of large corporate sites that look like they were slapped together by an amateur)

Web-Master.tv: The channel for webmasters.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh...thanks wayne, i never noticed it. its not very obvious, but now that i know that its there...

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is hypothetical........

Here are a list of sites:

AOL
    Microsoft
    Yahoo!
    Netscape
    Lycos
    About.com
    CNET
    GlassDog
    Bratta.com

Here is the assignment:
    You have just been hired as the webmaster at one of the above sites. You first job is to double traffic within six months (as assigned by the CEO with no technical experience). This includes what??? How would you redesign the sites so that they are a must see every day?

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitepoint's home page seems to load pretty fast for me... I'm using a 56K modem connected at 50K.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will pretend that I was put in charge of Microsoft.com... To double traffic, I would first launch a new ad campaign. Forget the lame MSN ads. This is something incredible. This is free Microsoft software. Free PocketPC drawings every minute. Print out online coupons. Download enhancements for Windows 98. Hell, it wouldn't actually *hurt* Microsoft to hold a few contests and give away free software. Make members register and login daily to increase their chances. Oh yeah, and host a forum with Bill Gates. So that others, besides those watching him on a 40-foot-closed-circuit-MSN-owned-screen, can provide feedback. It would double traffic. Seriously.

David from Web-Master.TV http://www.web-master.tv
    (the channel for webmasters, the web for you)

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whew! That could actually happen!

What's even stranger is that it is within Microsoft's reach too. In fact, it's in the reach of a lot of sites.

Nice job David!

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SitePoint 10 out of 10? It's a great site, but In my opinion no site deserves a PERFECT score unless they update at least once every day...

Thats not a knock on SP...but keep in mind that you can't give it anymore than 10...10 implies that there's no major room for improvement...and I think we know this is not the case...no site is a 10 right now.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    DomainMailings.com: Who says all the good names are taken?
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trcfreebies, I am glad that you like my proposal. I will be forwarding a similar marketing plan to Microsoft's Business Development any minute now... When you see such enhancements on their site, you'll know who started it I am crossing my fingers that they listen -- everyone knows their site could use some excitement and less corporate bore.

The site for those that create sites.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good

I'd give SitePoint a 9.5/10 too. I'd love to see more updates, but I think the SP guys already have too much to do. It's not easy to update a site like that every day.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@activewm.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    trcfreebies,
    I sent the proposal to Microsoft and received a reply... They said they aren't accepting unsolicited proposals at this time. They don't realize that it is a suggestion and I require nothing in exchange. I might just call up Bill later today. Depends on if I get web-master.tv running to our expectations.

David from http://www.web-master.tv
    Web-Master.TV: The site for developers.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although it would be nice I don't think Microsoft needs give away freebies to enhance traffic. Main reason is IMHO that most visitors(including me) browse the microsoft site for updates, news about their products and ofcourse their KB (knowledge Base). I shall always use that even without freebies and/or a message board.

EMB

------------------
    so never mind the darknes, we still can find the way. Cause nothin' last forever, even cold November rain.(Rose)

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SitePoint is still the best quality site for me. I would say I have surfed to most major webdevelopment sites (with own domains and sub domains) by searching on top ten search engines and directories but nothing will beat SitePoint at this time especially if they continue their innovation and updates on this site. This site has alot of quality content and simple but class design. I have seen several webdevelopment sites that have very bad navigational structure and color scheme but SitePoint again for me, is just close to perfect! I also found useful information on different sites not found on SitePoint Network. Since there are countless of information worldwide, it is impossible to have all these together found on a site. Many webdevelopment sites also have great stuff to offer in a different ways.

I do not have any problems with the load time of the site coz' I am using T1 @ work and 56k @ home although this site probably loads 42 secs on standard modem.

One thing I have noticed these days was that SitePoint has alot of advertisements now on their main page. In my opinion, one of the reason why MAYBE they put these several ads is for funding purposes to make their site much stronger and better which I do not care alot as long as it does not take 60 secs to load. Maybe I can wait since this site has the best web community to offer .

Anyway, who designed SitePoint Network?