User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ruby on rails book - start up problems

Hi,

I am trying out the examples in the ruby on rails book and have ran into snags which I know is not difficult to figure it out, but I don't quite know where to look.

On installation of instant rails, it gave two errors for apache and mysql, I managed to stop the previous version of mysql and fixed that, but for apache, the error is
    apache port 80 is used by ""(inetinfo.exe)!
    I looked but can't find the service using that port.

I continued with the book, and when I came to:- gem install rails -
    I get the following error:

Bulk updating gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
    ERROR: While executing gem....(Errno::EBADF)
    Bad file descriptor - connect(2)

Any help appreciated on how to correct these two errors and move on.

Regards,

CathyM

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, InstantRails

The following advice should be ignored by people who are offended by it: Use the normal Ruby + Rails installation, not InstantRails: http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyinstaller/ If you've installed that you can (probably ;-)) install Rails with the gem package manager: gem install rails. Now you can use the webrick server, which is very good for development. Start it with the command `ruby script/server` in you application directory. It starts on port 3000 by default so you will not have problems with port 80.

If you don't want to do these things:

Type ctrl+alt+delete and kill inetinfo.exe I don't know how you started apache, but you maybe you can use another port? (I don't know how though).

Maybe updating RubyGems using the `gem update --system` command and then typing `gem install rails` helps?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Already had the ruby installer before the instantRails so did that, but got another error:
    ERROR: While executing gem...(gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
    errno::EBADF reading http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/actio...vice-1.2.2.gem

Then tried to kill inetinfo, but even after that, the apache server is still seeing it as being used by inetinfo.exe.

So still in the same boat.

Regards,

CathyM

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried `gem update --system`?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fenrir2,

Tried gem update --system
    Still got the remoteFetcher error, with the errno a little different

'errno::EBADF reading http://gems.rubyforge.org/gems/rubyg...date-0.9.2.gem

CathyM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi CathyM

If you're using InstantRails, I wouldn't be too concerned about whether it is able to start Apache or not. When you're developing, you'll use the WEBrick server, which runs on port 3000 as Fenrir2 mentioned. You won't use Apache at all, so it won't matter whether InstantRails is able to successfully start it or not.

Is there a chance that your internet connection is dropping out while you're updating your gems? "remote fetcher error" sounds to me like your system is having problems retrieving the files it needs in their entirety.

With regards to installing different versions of software from those recommended in the book, as Fenrir2 has suggested, be wary that if you install Ruby 1.8.5 you'll need to make some changes to your installation to be able to work through the debugging chapter later in the book. See this page for more info. If that looks confusing, I'd recommend persisting with InstantRails so that your breakpoint client works.
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Read my blog.
    Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mattymcg,

I read through the other posts on this site and then disabled my firewall and was able to install Rails. The other times I used the program it started just fine with the firewall enabled, so not sure what was the problem there, but happy for it to be working.