SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, here is the dillemma, I am creating an intranet site, where NT and Linux are the two main OS's. I have a few links to some directories and other Non-HTML files. When I attempt to code these links, they work very well in NT when I write them this way:
    file:////servername/directoryname/filename.doc
    Now, I have noticed that for linux users, these files cannot be accessed. I suppose it's because this sort of link is rather windows specific? If so, is there a more universal way of writing it that will allow it to be usable on other OS's browsers?

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Access the just like you would a HTML file on the internet.

Say your Intranet server is on an NT machine called "Intranet". Your address would be: http://intranet/directory/filename.ext

Try it, it works great. Linux users should be able to access it as well as long as they can see the computer on the TCP/IP network.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, that is what I thought it would have to be, however, I have tried this, and it didn't work. I wonder if there is any other reason? The server itself is a BSDI machine, not an NT. anyway... Thanks if you could help any more than this? -tony

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure you have proper permissions to view the files...then access the following in your browser:
    http://<HOSTNAME>/<PATH>/<FILE>

HOSTNAME is the name of your BSDI box, like 'intranet' or 'angel'--whatever. PATH is the directory path, like /files/. FILE is the filename, like filename.txt.