SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yahoo messenger bot?

A potential client wants me to build him a website and he needs a script that knows when his moddles are signed into Yahoo messenger. I haven't the slightes clue how to do this. Can any one help?
    Arcade Trade Script
    An arcade script with a powerful traffic trading system built in.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy KevinR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tell your client you are not capable of writing such a script. Would you want your auto-mechanic to go ask another mechanic how to repair your vehicle or let you know he is not qualified to make the repairs?

Nuff said.

Visit docquesting.com docquesting's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woochoochinchill View Post
    moddles are signed into Yahoo messenger.
    If you could explain what this terms means perhaps someone may be able to help you further besides myself. Perhaps you should look into a few Yahoo apps. You may find something you can work with or add to.

To answer the previous question and reply does not a contractor that does not have the capabilities of his client sometimes sub contract out to one who does? Your reply and reasoning is not valid.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy KevinR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A difference of opinion docquesting. My reasoning is more than valid, but so is yours. It's not a "binary" issue. There are quite a number of gray areas in between 1 and 0.

No insult or offense meant to woochoochinchill. I know when people are sometimes starting out they have more ambition than experience/knowledge and sometimes get in over their heads. I of course wish woochoochinchill all the best and hope he and his new site are a success.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone on another forum has answered my question.

Thank you both and no offense taken.
    Arcade Trade Script

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you mind disclosing the answer ?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure.

The answer can be found here. http://talkfreelance.com/showthread.php?p=300287
    Arcade Trade Script

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
    tell your client you are not capable of writing such a script. Would you want your auto-mechanic to go ask another mechanic how to repair your vehicle or let you know he is not qualified to make the repairs?
    Gotta say - thats a very odd attitude to take especially comes to web development.

At work I develop intranet applications, especially reporting systems, and I reguarly come across something that I don't know how to do. I find out how to do it (usually with some help from forums and from Google), I experiment with it, I improve on the methods I find and the end result is a fairly efficient solution that I can work into our applications.

That's not to say I don't know the languages I work with (right now I'm developing in PHP, VBScript and TransactSQL and know them all fairly well) and I understand the techniques that I use for development, but developing specific new applications of those techniques often involves a good amount of research - thats what keeps me interested in what I do, expanding my skills.

The question posed here is a pretty good example, before I read the post that woochoochinchill linked I had no idea that Yahoo provided a simple web service to test whether or not a given member was online. The fact that I didn't know that certainly doesn't mean that I wouldn't have been able to implement it into an application if it was needed, I just would have had to do a little research before hand.

As a community we are here to help people develop their skills, there are few better was to develop your skills in something than by having a client expecting you to produce something - that pressure and challenge is what makes web development so interesting, if I got to the point where I knew all of the answers, where that challenge disapears, I can honestly say that web development would loose all interest for me.

In other words: if the answer to every question is "if you don't know how to do something, then don't try" then what's the point?
    Rick