SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Fp2000&dw

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've used FP 98 (2 y ago) then 2000, then macromedia dreamweaver. Thats what im using right now. Im using it to draw the layout, colors, tables, graphics. I have EditPlus (I love it too; http://www.editplus.com) opened at same time for javascript or php. Both programs ROCKS together! I cant understand how people writing code in plain notepad. (or they just telling that...) at least some kind code editor with syntax hightlight...
    why not?
    me.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't understand either. I guess they just can't resist the thrill of having no options.

Oh - I was serious about that - people like not having options.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, When I first started to make web pages I used Hotdog (text based editor), though the thrity day trial finnished so I started to use notepad. I have used both FP2000 (really, really sucks) and Macromedia Dreamweaver(The best wysiwyg editor) though the codeing that dreamweaver places in for things such as mouse over objects is just plain giberish. I guese it all comes down to what you can offord (under leagel terms) and your own personal preferance. By the way my web page was completely designed using notepad!!!! Nothing can beat notepad in terms of a small shareware text editor (maybe the pico editor for Linux).

------------------
    Thanks, WebmasterMattD
    http://members.xoom.com/webmattd/index.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Until very recently, I had always used Notepad. Now I'm trying out TextPad (which I like), but nothing else has ever converted me. Here are my reasons:

HotDog - Ugh. Messy. Bloated. Slow.

FrontPage - Hmm, alright, but too bloated.

Dreamweaver - Good for initial layouts, but I hate all those windows. (I've only used v2, I don't know if the floating windows are gone in v3).

1st Page - I still use this for its tools, like compressing and cleaning HTML code. I'm not sure if I will continue using it though because it is very buggy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use NotePad too. To quickly change some JavaScripts or some quick coding (META tags etc.). But most of the time I use the best editor in the world: frontpage 2000

I saw this ads in our newspaper for a job as webmaster of sites of several firms. Here were common requirements:
    - knowledge of HTML
    - knowledge of wysiwyg editors like FrontPage 2000 and DreamWeaver.
    - etc.
    Do you think they are going to pay you for 5 hours of 'NotePadding' if they knew that you can do the same in 30 min. with a WYSIWYG editor? Wrong...

Christophe

ps: coding with NP can be insteresting though...

------------------
    http://freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's an interesting point freesources. It seems like most companies require you to know how to use a WYSIWYG editor, 'cause they speed up the process. Interesting...

Anyway, I use Notepad most of the time, but I'm checking out EditPlus right now. It seems that if my websites are too big Notepad crashes

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    WEB: http://www.j.cx
    EMAIL: justin@j.cx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Users of notepad-only are usually called "purists" (at least by myself and some people I know)...it doesn't surprise me that WYSIWYG editors are catching on...coding by hand can take quite a long time on a large site. I think WYSIWYG editors will continue to improve to the point where many will produce very clean code and still save us all a lot of time.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought purists were people who don't want words of other languages to be introduced in their language....

Christophe

------------------
    http://freesources.net - the ultimate webmaster resources site

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All wysiwyg editors are very handy, but to check the whole page and edit small things you need to edit the HTML source itself. I use DW for about everything, and Notepad++ for adding some small things and checking the source. This is the best way to make a site, I think.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I just use HomeSite for its excellent syntax coloring. It really helps when you're using a lot of 's and "s in an escaped quote sequence...to see if you screwed up.

It's some pretty expensive syntax coloring, that's for sure!!

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Syntax colouring is quite handy, that's right, but most time you've got to pay for those programs, and I thought that DW was expensive enough.

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What version are you using? If your using 4.0 or higher press control-F3 to get access to the "Clip Libraries". This is where the HTML tags are and you can create custom tags easily. Just look at it in the help file. Everything mentioned above is also listed in the help file. If you need color coding files for ASP or PHP then check out the add-ins on their website. Plus many other add-ins, macros or utilities are available there.

As I said in the "Power User" thread in the general forums. There is a difference between using a program and mastering it.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Homesite on occasion but I mostly use Textpad, which features:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>color coding for any langauge known to man (I can even set up color coding for English)
    <LI>point and click tag insertion
    <LI>Integration with the CSS HTML validator
    <LI>templates
    <LI>Integration with your browser
    <LI>spellchecking
    <LI>multiple language interface and dictionary support.
    <LI>Can fully replace notepad (actually deletes the program).
    <LI>and much more.
    </UL>

The Textpad environment is completely customizable to fit your needs. To me its easier to code with a text editor because I always have to go and change code in a WYSIWYG editor no matter which one it is. Sometimes it is small things like a tweak here or a tag there, other times it is overlapping tags or unclosed tags which should be closed like paragraphs.

Also none of the WYSIWYG editors I have tried can handled the segmented files I use. That is to say my "default.asp" page is only 10 lines long. Those 10 lines will either load my page or redirect you to another page depending on what domain name you use to access the site. In actuality it builds page consisting of no less than 4 server-side includes and hits a database. Neither Dreamweaver or Frontpage can display this properly because they don't use a proper webserver, I have to use my browser pointed to a local webserver.

Oh and Textpad costs 20% of what FrontPage does and 6% of what Dreamweaver does or around $27.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TextPad really does that? I've used TextPad for almost a year now (but not for coding) and I haven't seen some of those features.

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah...I see now.

I guess TextPad is really worth mastering! I'm going to download a ton of add-ins now!

Thanks once again Wayne!

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I'm blown away now...no idea TextPad was that powerful. Wayne has given us a perfect example of what it is to be a Power User...and I don't plan on wasting it!

I have two different versions right now...I know which one is older, but I have no idea what version the newer one is...I'll have to visit the site and upgrade. Great program all around, highly recommended to anyone who'd rather not fork out all the dough for a WYSIWYG editor and is willing to code by hand.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stupid double click

[This message has been edited by Zulu (edited July 16, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Macromedia's ultradev supports server side databases applications like cold fusion, asp and jsp. It is based on dreamweaver 3 which supports SSI and various other stuff.

This programs has made creating database intergrate site very easy, but still requires manual editing every now and then.

Only if this would support PHP!