Thread: Ruby Drawbacks?

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ruby Drawbacks?

Hi -

I am in the process of trying to get a site developed by a programmer. I've had many offers to program the site, and one particular programmer wants to do the backend in Ruby on Rails. I initially wanted the site to be developed in PHP/MySQL, as it seemed to make the most sense for this kind of site. But I know nothing about Ruby. Are there any drawbacks to using Ruby? Is there anything I should know about?

Thanks.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Johnny,

Well I am in the opposite situation to you pal!

I'm looking for a programmer to do Ruby On Rails programming for my Web2.0 App. Why? Because it seems like "the thing" to do now. Im not calling it the death of PHP or anything, but depending on what kind of program you want - you gotta look at what offers the most.

Ruby is great for object oriented stuff I believe, meaning you can make web apps easier than in PHP. I guess Ruby is faster too.

Rich

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ruby's actually not faster than PHP (or Python or Perl), but by the time the performance difference matters, your app would need more/better hardware regardless of whether it was done in PHP or Rails.

PHP and Rails can both scale as far as you want to pay for.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Johnny,

The only real obvious drawback I would see is the specialized hosting you will need. Pretty minor though as more and more hosts are offering it. Blue host seems to have a good deal for about 100 a year.