SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agile web development with RoR or new sitepoint's rails book?

Which book you prefer or think is better? I read two comments on the sitepoint's rails book webpage for now and there you can see a user that say that it is better explained rails in the sitepoint's book and instead he didn't like the way "Agile web development with RoR" explained the code.
    Another user says the exact opposite. He say that "agile book" really can tech you all RoR things.
    I personally own both and i started with sitepoint's book but i feel some things are not well explained or deeply explained. Maybe i am still at the beginnings of things in the book and i can't really judge the book. Anyway thanks to some discuss on the book on this forum i can go on and learning ruby with this book.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

I had reservations about buying the RoR 4 Dummies book, but I'm about half way through it, and I have found it to be an excellent starter book.

My 2c - Dave Porter

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You own both... so why not use both?

If you don't understand a concept in one, look at the other.

The sitepoint book is newer, so you might want to consider using it (mostly).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unclekyky View Post
    You own both... so why not use both?

If you don't understand a concept in one, look at the other.

The sitepoint book is newer, so you might want to consider using it (mostly).
    well agile web development with rails is from december 2006 so it doesn't differ so much from the sitepoint book and then in amazon i see all positive feedback with 5 starts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Having read through most of both, I'd say the Agile book is more useful if you already understand concepts like OOP, Model-view-controller, design patterns, etc. I think the SitePoint book is a little more "basic" so if you're not already into the stuff I mentioned above it's probably a better way to get into Rails. Both cover a lot of the same ground though.

And the 2nd edition Agile book is on par with SitePoint's as far as what they target; they both cover Rails 1.2, the latest version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    Having read through most of both, I'd say the Agile book is more useful if you already understand concepts like OOP, Model-view-controller, design patterns, etc. I think the SitePoint book is a little more "basic" so if you're not already into the stuff I mentioned above it's probably a better way to get into Rails. Both cover a lot of the same ground though.

And the 2nd edition Agile book is on par with SitePoint's as far as what they target; they both cover Rails 1.2, the latest version.
    anyway now i'm studying on sitepoint's rails book and i have to admit that after an initial read and some clarified concepts (on this forum) now this book seems great to me. (at the beginning i was a little frustrated). I would like to see some explanation added on next updates to the book and to the pdf to make this book as perfect as possible 'cause i like it now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblaze View Post
    anyway now i'm studying on sitepoint's rails book and i have to admit that after an initial read and some clarified concepts (on this forum) now this book seems great to me. (at the beginning i was a little frustrated). I would like to see some explanation added on next updates to the book and to the pdf to make this book as perfect as possible 'cause i like it now.
    Glad to hear that Skyblaze. I've already added to the PDF some explanations and typo fixes based on our discussions here on the forums, and those changes will also be included in future reprints of the book (and of course are available on the book's errata page).

I'd encourage people who have read the SitePoint Rails book to write a testimonial for the book's page on sitepoint.com. We've only had a couple so far, so the more (honest) comments the better!
    I design beautiful, usable interfaces. Oh, and I wrote a kids' book.
    Follow me on Twitter.
    Read my blog.
    Buy my book, Charlie Weatherburn and the Flying Machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattymcg View Post
    Glad to hear that Skyblaze. I've already added to the PDF some explanations and typo fixes based on our discussions here on the forums, and those changes will also be included in future reprints of the book (and of course are available on the book's errata page).

I'd encourage people who have read the SitePoint Rails book to write a testimonial for the book's page on sitepoint.com. We've only had a couple so far, so the more (honest) comments the better!
    i'm still reading it
    When i have finished it i will write a review for sure

P.S.
    Have you updated the pdf with those stuff you say the same time when you republished the pdf without the copy and paste protection? 'cause that time i've redownloaded the pdf and i would like to know if i have to redewnload it another time. Anyway to be sure i re-download it :P