SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With many new WYSIWYG Web Authoring Programs, and an Increasing number of Internet Users, where does Web Design go from here?? Will we all still need to know CGI/Perl/MySQL in the future? or will packages such as Dreamweaver or FrontPage 2006 be able to create it all for us? with no hassle? Where will origonality lay when everyone can produce mind blowing effects, the revolution of Internet Connections has also taken a giant leap, lets not forget that most people now have Cable or ADSL, with many businesses pioneering T1 connnections and beyond, will there still be a need for text on screen, or will people use intense eye-catching CGI-Cutscenes with a mind blowing MP4 in the background.

People at the moment are worried about how much it costs to be online? it seems that in America, most people enjoy free calls, at a set monthly amount, but now this revolution is beginning to creap across Europe, and Asia. Will we all be soon wearing a VR Head Set, looking at the Internet in 3D, with Billions of people Interatcing on one huge global Network?

It won't be long before computers are obsolete, and a new revolution of Internet-TV becomes available, in the United Kingdom, this is already available through Sky Interactive, admitadly at a very basic level, used for online shopping mainly. The revolution has already started, with many new super giants such as Sony Corporation making their 2nd generation machines, which don't allow ordinary Modem connections, but a new era of BroadBand connections.

To conclude my essay , what does all of this new technology mean on the way the Internet works today, will it ever be the same? it's already beginning, the signs are there..Your views please.

Hell.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know sky's "Internet tv" or Open as they call it is not the internet, just a large extranet - which probably makes it more secure but people should know that the only Internet part of the service is email.

------------------
    Gem
    S I F O X - Giving The Internet A Makeover

Serial Publisher silver trophy aspen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things like Frontpage and or Dreamweaver will never, never, take the place of a good web designer/programmer.

I look at it like art. Can you make a machine that can replicate monet's? Yes. But could you make a machine that made something original? No.

You can use stencils to make really good text with paper and pencil, but you'll never compare to a master caligrapher.

And besides, Frontpage or Dreamweaver will never have the newest stuff coded into them. Unless the programmers journey into the future.

As to whether we will still need to learn certain languages. My opinion is that perl is dying out. But MySQL will be around for a long time, or until someone comes up with something better.

Chris

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most of everything will be around for a long time. Unless someone comes out with some really extrodinary, I don't see much changing. I think something that's hot now are the PDA things or whatever they're called. The cell phone internet browsing.

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    WEB: http://www.j.cx
    EMAIL: justin@j.cx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "monet analogy" only goes so far...we don't need programs that create the entire site, just programs that handle the repetitive busy work that comes with, say, coding tables and making sure all the closing tags are in place.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say that Flash will become more widespread...as our connections get faster, it'll simply make more sense. There will be an immense amount of control over websites.

I think we will always have "old-fashioned" hand programmins when it comes to things like PHP, ASP, Perl, or whatever else might come along later.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's quite clear that the human need to venture beyond the constraints of modernity will indeed remain a quality unique to...well you guessed it...humans.

Think of what you can do with let's say...Word, compared to what you could do with it only 4-5 years ago. There are only a handful of things that have become newly possible; most changes have been improvements that make things easier...

No matter the technology that takes dominance over an industry--be it HTML, ASP, Java, Perl, Flash, XML, PHP, whatever--there will always (hopefully) be those who will try to redefine the Industry with new technologies.

Oh the irony that is life...

Wouldn't you agree? Look, a little while ago (relatively speaking) we all thought learning Pascal was the "bomb"...

------------------
    Dave Han - webmaster@goboatingamerica.com
    - Oh we just so love coding...
    Go Boating America.com - Official Home of Sea and Go Boating Magazines.
    Everything related to boating...and then some. Visit goboatingamerica.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are your views on Consoles replacing computers? It's obvious that the PC is at a loss nowerdays, as from day one, as I always said, the PC has a bad foundation, 500 kb of base memory (roughly) is not what I would consider to be the future of things to be? What about companies such as Microsoft, will they continue to make Operating Platforms for people now that the realisation that Consoles such as the Nintendo Dolphin and PS2 are out (yes I know they have launched the X-Box), where does our future lie in this new "era".

Hell.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ax <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>lets not forget that most people now have Cable or ADSL<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont believe this quote, maybe in the future ,whenever that is , we will not need to worry about file sizes and download times, but at the moment I think that most people now have 56k modems or below. This is from a worldwide point of veiw and not an American position.
    I think that the w.w.w will become graphically intensive and more like Television and Televisions will become the screen to the web and email for many people but...
    at another level on the internet there will always be a place that is information not graphic intensive and a population of students and tutors sharing ideas, files and points of view.

------------------
    Practice makes perfect

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to comment on two of the topics that I am hearing: future of web design and the future of how the Internet will be delivered.

The biggest threat that I see to individual web designers such as myself are the new do-it-yourself sites. Sites like Microsoft's bCentral and www.concentric.com. These companies provide in all-in-one stop solution for an affordable monthly fee. I think most small business owners find this very desirable. On the other hand, the larger corporations will tend to go with web development firms that have the resources and a wide variety of talent and experiance.

As far as Internet delivery goes, I don't think we will see any drastic changes in the next few years. I live in the Mid-west (USA) and most areas do not have the availabilty of high-speed access. The areas that do, have few users. Why? The majority of users spend the majority of time just checking thier email.

Then there's the PC. I can go to my local Circuit City and pick-up a free* computer or, at most, need not spend more then $1000 for a pretty decent, complete system. Not only does it deliver the Internet in ways my TV and PDA never will, but I can do my taxes and the kids can do thier homework.

I have no doubt that non-PC Internet device market will really grow in the next five years, but that doesn't mean the computer is going anywhere. TV and radio were supposed to do books in, but there are more books being published today then there ever has.

------------------
    IMHO,
    Westmich
    Your opportunity on the web is now!
    westmichiganweb.com

[This message has been edited by westmich (edited July 15, 2000).]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truth is, PC's are at the end of their tether so to speak, their limits have almosts been met, miniturization cannot get the chips much smaller, and such a faulty foundation, will maybe not mean that the "computer" will die, but certainly PC's will, I see a new generation, of people growing up with Mac G4's, as they are starting to corner the market drastically (well in the UK anyway), schools throught Britain have them installed for their sheer power over the PC, for example, a 450 mhz Mac G4, with 128 mb Ram, and an ATI 128, whoops ass on any PC nowerdays, even the ones with GeForce 256 V2's with 1000mhz processors can only just keep up, maybe the future of the "computer" is secure, but ceratainly the future of the PC isn't. Also, as a final note, a wiseman once said:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>

A pile of bricks are nothing without the cement to hold it together.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Infact, I just made that up, I must be the Wiseman I guess

Hell.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to try and stay out of this because my opinions have been posted in the forums many times before.

A Macintosh G4 is just a PC. All PC means is personal computer. Unfortunately you might think Apple will win the day but with less than 10 percent of the world-wide market, they seem to failing. In the U.S., schools used to have nothing but Apple computers. Where I live the schools can't afford a Macintosh for every two students when companies are just throwing Wintel clones at them for free. Don't get me wrong, Apple makes a good product and I hope they remain successful and viable.

Now back to the topic. HellFire is correct, the PC as we know it today will start disappear within the next five-ten years. This isn't because of game consoles, which serve a totally different purpose altogether, Palmtops, or any other device. The demise of the PC will come about because of technology growth and integration. Right now a lot of middle class families in the U.S. have multiple PCs connected by a network, they have multiple televisions, and multiple telephones. Some as many as one of each device in each bedroom and the living room.

You are going to start seeing these devices merging into one unit. The beginnings of this has already happened with systems like the Gateway Destination and Voice Modems. This will bring a whole new level to the internet as well. Broadband while still in its infancy promises to provide a lot of options to internet users.

Combine Broadband -&gt; Computer -&gt; Television -&gt; Phone and you get a device capable of being the communications centerpoint of our lives with instantaneous communication anywhere in the world.

Now here is why the PC will disappear. As 1000 mhz and faster processors become more viable your going to start seeing more Application Servers in the home. With these devices you can use one centrally located powerfull computer of 1-4 processors giving gigahertz of power to provide access to all the applications, entertainment and communications a household needs. The machine will most like sit in a cupboard out of the way while small terminals exist in each room waiting to do the users bidding.

As wireless communications becomes cheaper, you'll see more Palmtops and other mobile devices being linked into these same servers enabling turning on the air conditioner, or preheating the oven. This will all be done over IP or the Internet Protocols. The Internet is made up of so much more than Email and the World Wide Web that you would be amazed of what one specification created 30 years ago is capable of.

The World Wide Web is just the first wave in Digital Multimedia but it is also what it took to make the Internet popular. It is a wonderful technology but I have to be cliche and say "you have seen nothing yet!" The web will serve its purposes and fade away similarly to ARCHIE, WAIS, GOPHER and the protocols before it.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you are right, the Internet is just a beginning. Everything will merge into one new medium -- TV, web, and radio -- and people will be able to experience it for even less than before. Fast connections, bewildering speed. WebTV and other companies have shown the potential here. In any case, it is bound to be interesting.

David from http://www.web-master.tv
    Web-Master.TV: The channel for webmasters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I donít want to seem to cynical, but I think Palmtops preheating the oven and refrigerators calling the repair man through the Internet has the same mass appeal and promise as did flying cars, rocket packs, and everyone living under the sea in the 1950ís.

The reality is that these devices are luxury items and will always be optional.

------------------
    IMHO,
    Westmich
    Your opportunity on the web is now!
    westmichiganweb.com

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Televisions, Phones and Electricity are luxury items also.. Look at how popular they are.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jojax is right. The statement about most people having high speed internet is completely false. I speak from experience. My night job is working for a company that does tech support contracts for 3 of the biggest ISP's (dial up), the largest DSL/telco company in the US and one of the largest cable ISP's. DSL and cable modems are no where near the majority and the fact is the percentage is getting no bigger. Both dial up and high speed internet access subscribers are climbing but the percentages are staying about the same.

Both DSL and Cable access have many, many issues. For one many new homes are now being build with telephone wires (both in the house and in the streets) that are fiber optic. Unfortunatly only copper wire can carry a DSL signal and alot of people are out of reach of DSL. I live in the middle of Dallas which I think is the 4th or 5th largest city in the US and I am to far away from the telco building to get it.

Then of course there is the cable option which is fine but after awhile (if not already) those lines are going to be so congested that it will be slower than your modem.

The fact that PC sales have slowed and manufaturers are looking for new products to launch (i.e. internet appliances and wireless intenet) means that we are only going to have more and more issues with browsers not supporting this or that and when internet apliances become the norm expect the overall fast connection/slow connetion ratio to sway towards the slow side. A few months ago Microsoft sent out a press release stating that they would no longer be supporting DOM as we know it and instead they would implement another proprietary system into their future browsers. All in an effort to stay on top and make developers develop ites geared toward IE.

PC's will never top their CPU speed out. They will get faster and faster and when I'm 80 I will have what is now considered a super computer sitting at my desk and everything I own will be digital and hooked to the net. There will also be new technology by then that will have us all surfing at T1 speeds but it's not going to happen for a decade or two.

I think the imediate future is WML & XML applications for internet appliances and cell phones.

Flash has it's purpose which I believe is entertainment ONLY. I see entertainment sites using flash for things like commercials when your watching your internet TV one day but I will not and will never go to a full flash site for anything other than an entertainment purpose (other than maybe learning flash itself). When I go to a site I want to go there, have it load quick, do what I want to do, and leave. Flash is annoying if I am going to a site to shop or read something.

OK I think that qualifies as the longest post I've ever made

------------------
    CoolResources.com -- Part of the W3Nation Network

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another of my opinions is that Technology in the future, will be more interactive, take Music for example, with DVD's people are now able to string all the instruments in the song together on their computer, meaning they get more for their money, now I think this too will become mainstream in Videos etc, the wider aspects of Technology other than just Computers, are that things as Wayne so rightly put it, going to merge into a medium, my reasons for this, speed, accessability, miniturization, this is all essential to every human, thats why WAP phones are out, not because people neccesarily need them, but just because they offer more accessability, and more features means a greater profit. Sony's console the PS2 I think handles this quite well, they have DVD support, broadband connections ONLY, backwards compatible etc, all of these features are designed to make us leave our desks, and go in front of the TV, to enjoy a more interactive experience. You may ask "What could be more interatcive than the Internet?, well for a start the sheer magnitude of Broadband connections will literally blow the Internet away, secondly, you are using TV's instead, meaning you can have a much larger more interactive system, it's also much more relaxing being infront of a TV (My own opinion anyway ), in America I know for a fact that HDTV is becoming available, with broadband connections, you won't need a monitor, because the bandwidth which is currently being used to just create the picture quality, roughly 800x600+ will have much more space available, meaning quality could be pushed to new higher levels.

I understand I am focusing mainly on new technologies, and not what may happen for the majority of working class citizens (no offence or prejudism meant there), however I like talking about Techno gizmos (haven't used that word in a while)

Ok, Next opinion, my opinion isn't neccesairly one to write back to, more...well...just a thoguht I guess.