SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been coding using 1st page and notepad...thinking about trying frontpage to cut down on some of my coding time. I've read so many negative comments and I can't decide. Can someone shed some light for me. Unnecessary code??? Tags??
    Thanks in advance.
    Janis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Janis,

FrontPage is a great time saving tool if you're familiar with it.

It doesn't really produce any bulky or terribly inconvienent code unless you use FP Themes, Extensions, their Form Creator, built in effects, or shared borders. Just use it for tables and layouts and you should be just fine!

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    DomainMailings.com: Who says all the good names are taken?
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nate,

You're entitled to your opinion and it may be with some merit...but please refrain from calling FrontPage "crap"...it's not crap if people like me can use it to create quality websites. We all have our preferences. I hate coding by hand, but I realize that some people enjoy it and wouldn't have it any other way...we can't expect everyone to have the same preferenecs or design habits that we may have.

------------------

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go Dreamweaver if you want to save time. You'll spend too much time fixing all the crappy code Ftonpage will spit in your face...

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    WEB: http://www.j.cx
    EMAIL: justin@j.cx

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Janis,

Some people don't like FP and some people do. I'm one of the people who do like it... I think it saves time if you don't use some of the features like "Webs"... For tables and layouts, it's wonderful.. There's not too much extra coding, but there may be a little at times. overall I think it's worth it...

------------------
    Timothy

MSN: TimothyD2000

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's not turn every topic into a frontpage/dreamweaver debate. I am starting to delete posts because of it.

Janis

If your new to HTML and not sure what you want to use I suggest that you download or order the Frontpage trial and use it for 30 days. Then do the same thing for Dreamweaver, Homesite and HotDog Professional. If you don't like a program eliminate it. Work with the different programs until you find one that fits your style.

I personally like Frontpage's and Homesite's Interface. Dreamweaver's is much to flashy and bulky for me to consider professional. I am going to try Hotdog again. I tried it once a long time ago but its menu looked like a dogbone and that turned me off. It is more polished and professional now.

ALL WYSIWYG editors are going to produce bulky un-optimized code no matter what you do. Some produce better code than others.

Since you have used 1st Page and Notepad until now, Homesite or Hotdog might be a better fit for you. Their wizards and design views are good for quick layouts and their hand's on coding allow quick code writing and don't produce anything extra that you don't type. Homesite is the most used professional editor and even ships with Dreamweaver because the text editor severely lacks in that program.

All it is going to cost you is a little time if you download a few trials and find the program that is best for you.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Magazine - MetaQuark Creations (Coming Soon)
    sitepoint@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Justin S:
    Go Dreamweaver if you want to save time. You'll spend too much time fixing all the crappy code Ftonpage will spit in your face...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Justin, I downloaded the trial version of Dreamweaver and did not have the time to really play around with it. It takes some getting used to.
    Thanks Janis

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the site of Macromedia (www.macromedia.com) you'll find excellent tutorials. It's worth to check it out since it may save you a lot of time, like it did by me.
    Good luck with DW, you won't regret it!

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by Elledan:
    On the site of Macromedia (www.macromedia.com) you'll find excellent tutorials. It's worth to check it out since it may save you a lot of time, like it did by me.
    Good luck with DW, you won't regret it!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Oh, What the heck...I'll just get 'em both. Wasting time trying to decide. Thanks Elledan, there are some really good tutorials there.
    Janis
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by wluke:
    Let's not turn every topic into a frontpage/dreamweaver debate. I am starting to delete posts because of it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a little off topic, but still a discussion...I don't think it got out of hand either.

I'm a tad upset that my post was removed...not a big deal, but I had kind of expected some kind of notification. I'm just surprised it was removed at all really...it was a viable argument and therefore contribues more to the thread than blatant opinions and insults, which are left standing fairly often.

------------------

[This message has been edited by TWTCommish (edited July 14, 2000).]