SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perl AIM bot goes offline

I created a perl AIM bot using the following tutorial:
    http://lifehacker.com/software/budge...bot-187215.php
    I used these files http://lifehacker.com/assets/2006/07/fixedbbot.zip as mentioned in the tutorial. The only modifications I made to them is that I added additional categories to the script.
    The bot works fine and responds correctly to commands but I have this problem that it only stays online for a limited amount of time (~a day) and then disappears. When I go to the desktop that is running the script, it appears that it is still running (cygwin window is still open and there are no error messages) but looking for the AIM screename from a different computer shows that the bot is offline. This tutorial was my first foray into perl. I have minimal experience in C++, Java and Visual Basic .Net and I am really on a beginners level (I understand basic concepts such as syntax, loops, arrays etc. and can read and write basic code but do not know anything much beyond that).
    I really need to get this bot up and running so I can keep track of the money I am spending. Any help at getting this thing to run and stay running would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can someone please help me?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy KevinR's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is AOL is kicking your bot offline, or does AOL allow users to connect ad-infinitum?