SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation XHTML 1.0 = work fine in Netscape 4 and IE 5.0?

Hey all. I am currently in the progress of developing this site for a freelance project and decided to try something different. In the past, I've always used the HTML 4.0 DOCTYPE to maintain integrity and W3C compliance on all sorts of web browsers. Just recently I have been tooling with XHTML 1.0 and would REALLY like to get my feet wet in that.

The site isnt that complicated. Its simple, spans a few pages, and its doubtful it will use MySQL integration. I have a good feeling that Internet Explorer 5.0 will handle these files fine, but my big worry is if Netscape 4.x will break my code.

I am one of those guys that wants to pioneer the web and move forward with cool new technologies but this sort of thing bites me in the bud all the time. Maybe I can write something in PHP where it autodetects the browser and writes certain HTML tags compliant to that browser.

Any ideas or suggestions on how well Netscape 4 can handle XHTML 1.0 would be very helpful. thx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's generally considered that XHTML 1.0 Transitional is the one to go for if you want to keep NS4 happy. The big problem with NS4 is CSS.

I can't remember off hand the exact differences between XHTML Transitional and Strict but one that springs to mind is that you don't have to specify widths and heights in CSS in Transitional.

W3C will tell you more.
    the bottoms of my shoes are clean from walking in the rain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just realised that last comment doesn't sound quite right. What I really mean is, in XHTML1.0 Strict layer and table widths and heights must be expressed in CSS and then referenced most likely by a suitable class.

In Transitional you don't have to do this. One of the chief aims of XHTML is to remove all the 'presentational' parts of HTML. Hence the deprecation of width and height attributes.

Hope that's clearer
    the bottoms of my shoes are clean from walking in the rain