SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

getting total number of queries

Hello,

I´m currently writing an application where the database is affected in many different ways. There are HTML tables filled with data from the db, edit forms and stuff like that.

OK, is there any way to get the total number of queries per page request? Unfortunately it would take too long to modify every piece of code where the database is involved... I just need a little snippet which I can place at the end of a PHP file.

I want to see if somewhere are "too many" queries... then I´d optimise the code or rewrite it completely. BTW at this time performance is not very critical because this app will be used in an intranet only. But it could be that in future also customers and contractors are going to use it.

oerdec

[edit] Another thought... is there any way of seeing what happens in realtime using the command line?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I know of people counting queries is to have a variable doing a count every time a query has happened. Of course this is much easier to do if you are using a class to carry out the queries.

Regarding the real time question what is it you actually want to see? top will show you the current running process' but I doubt that is what you are looking for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't do this the way you want.

My suggestion is to create a replacement to the mysql_query function.

Here is a snippet :

PHP Code:
    $totalQueries 0;
    function 
    myQuery($sql){
     global 
    $totalQueries;

$totalQueries++;
     return 
    mysql_query($sql);

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @filth: There are two classes that work with the db: The main database class and one for storing sessions. OK, it shouldn´t be that hard to modify these two classes... but I would like to keep them clean. I think I´ll try it anyway.

what is it you actually want to see?
    I don´t know exactly. I have no idea how the data that is sent to the db looks like. Maybe there´s something interesting in it, like SQL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Nikolas: Thank you for your snippet. I tried something similar but didnīt get it to function. Perhaps itīs because of all the redirections after form submissions or my brain has stopped working... Iīm coding since yesterday

OK, I know what I have to do and Iīll try it tomorrow again.