SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of deal for non-profits?

OK, another question here. (I am so glad I have this forum to go to to help me out with these questions!)

I have already committed to do a full web site for a local non-profit organization that is very close to my heart. I will be building the entire site for free. They will just be paying for hosting.

I belong to the local Chamber of Commerce and another non-profit organization contacted me through there and possibly referred by the previous non-profit organization. They are a garden club and would also like a web site designed and hosted. We have not discussed any details yet.

Here is my dilema. I am very busy and not making much money right now. (I am working diligently at fixing that problem). I have already committed to do the first non-profit site for free. I cannot afford to do the second one as well. Should I charge them full price? Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to charging non-profits? Am I expected to give them a discount or none at all? What would you suggest?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We generally charge non-profits the same as we would any other organization. If you can afford to take a loss or claim it on your taxes as a charitable contribution then do it for free. Otherwise, tell them that you will need to charge them a nominal amount to cover your expenses.

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would probably offer to do the second non-profit site for a fee as well. While my charitable side would want to do it for free, I think too many freebies are only going to hurt your business, particularly your bank account.

I'd consider offering a discount because the organisation was non-profit, but only if I could afford the loss and it didn't take up time I could be spending on other, fully paying clients.

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

Rent A Cop Dan
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if you host and design... but what I do is charge them 1/2 price for the design and charge them 10% off my regular hosting price. I always try to make them feel special about it though saying I decided to make them a good deal. (It helps word of mouth)

Good Luck,
    Dan
    Dan's Site
    Some Current Sites:365 Puns! # Joke It! #
    Pride & Joy!
    Current Projects: ArcadeRat! # Scouting News # yW