User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Preventing default event in Opera and Netscape

Hi,

I'm workin on a web application that can not only be used with the mouse but also via keyboard shortcuts, arrow keys etc., just as you would use a desktop app.
    Yahoo mail is a good example for this kind of application though it's a bit overdone

In order to do this I have to prevent some default browser events like scrolling on arrow down, changing focus when pressing tab, selecting text on ctrl + a etc.

Code:
    function stopDefaultAction(event)
    {
    	// IE
    	event.returnValue = false;

// mozilla
    	if(typeof event.preventDefault != 'undefined')
    	{
    		event.preventDefault();
    	}
    }
    This is the code I'm trying to cancel the default events with and Firefox as usual works as it should. Netscape and Opera though seem to ignore this and still perform their own actions.

How can this be fixed or do these browsers simply not support canceling their default actions?

Cheers, Florian

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    event.preventDefault() works perfectly in Opera. Are you sure you are sending the correct event object to this function? Opera9 supports window.event, just like IE, so checking for the presence of that object can cause strange things to happen.

I spent half a day looking for a problem with the Prototype library, which turned out to be caused by their choice of variable name: event, just like your code. Opera sees this as the global event object, i.e., window.event.

Try changing the name of your function argument:
    Code:
    function stopDefaultAction(ev)
    {
    	// IE
    	ev.returnValue = false;

// mozilla
    	if(typeof ev.preventDefault != 'undefined')
    	{
    		ev.preventDefault();
    	}
    }
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane