User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dynamic dropdown js rest some variables

Hi all,

I am using a script that for multiple dynamic dropdowns. This is what my form does.....

I have a state, county, and department field, each a dropdown that can be dynamically populated.

When a state is selected a list of counties associated with the state populate the second dropdown. When a county is selected a list of departments within the county populate the third dropdown.

If the user selects a state and county my url looks like this...

?state=3247&county=323&source=0

If the user decides to select a different state from here and the page reloads this is what my url looks like...

?state=3259&county=323&source=0

Notice the county value remains unchanged.

Here is the javascript I am using. How can I tweek it so that when a parent value changes the dependent values are reset to 0?

Code:
    <SCRIPT language="JavaScript">
    function reload(form)
    {
    var val1=form.state.options[form.state.options.selectedIndex].value;
    var val2=form.County_name.options[form.County_name.options.selectedIndex].value;
    var val3=form.Gis_source.options[form.Gis_source.options.selectedIndex].value;
    self.location='/dataservices/gis_popup.php?state=' + val1 +'&county=' + val2 +'&source=' + val3;
    }
    </script>
    Thanks in advance.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The title should have been "reset" not "rest"

So this is my workaround but I was hoping for something more compact. As you can see I just broke it down into 3 different functions. Is there any way to do it in just 1? I tried using some if-else statements but none of them were successful.

Code:
    function reload_state(form)
    {
    var val2=0;
    var val3=0;
    self.location='/dataservices/gis_popup.php?state=' + val1 +'&county=' + val2 +'&source=' + val3;

}
    </script>
    function reload_county(form)
    {
    var val2=form.County_name.options[form.County_name.options.selectedIndex].value;
    var val3=0;
    }
    </script>
    function reload_source(form)
    {
    var val3=form.Gis_source.options[form.Gis_source.options.selectedIndex].value;
    }
    </script>