SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with formmail

Hi, just a quick one (I hope) from someone who hasn't got a clue...

I'm trying to sort a friends site out but it's running on ASP a the moment and I am completely lost. I'm trying to get 'formmail.asp' from Brainjar.com to work and I'm having trouble. I not sure whether I'm missing something obvious or not.

I figured out the server uses 'CDOSYS' (mainly because the other options do nothing when executed). When I submit the for, it thinks about it for a while then give me the following error;

Form could not be processed due to the following errors:

* Email send failed: The server rejected the sender address. The server response was: 501 5.7.1 ... Sender IP must resolve .

Any ideas what the problem is? I'm about ready to give up, looks like I'm going to end up paying someone to make contact form for me just to save face! - Which wasn't the plan seeing as the project is pro-bono anyway. Live and learn...
    "Everything should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler" - Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All sorted...

The SMTPserver part suggested 'mail.hostingcompany.co.uk' as did the hosts, when it just needed 'localhost'.

Another thing, I'm used to using PHP forms where the email address in stored in the PHP file. With this form though I've noticed it's still in the actual form. Surely that's not good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the email address is stored in the actual HTML form that can be seen by viewing source in a browser, that's a bad idea. If the email address is contained in the code execution block (between <% and %>), that's OK since it can't be seen by the end user.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The email is in the form as a hidden field. I didn't see it at first. Is there anything I can do about this? I've already implemented the form and was hoping to forget the whole experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you'd like, you can PM me with the code and I'll make the changes to build the email address into the ASP code block instead of a hidden field.

The hidden field is an old canned script solution for easy distribution and setup by non-programmers. It's a bad method at best since I could write a form on my server that posts to your server. Using the hidden field on my form, I could essentially use your server as a spamming machine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've PM'ed you, thanks for the offer.