SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The usability of the forum software has gone downhill...

Ever since the forum software was changed to use advanced javascript and XMLHttpRequests, which allows posts to be added to a thread without reloading the page, the forum software has been a real pain to use. In FF(but not IE), the text typed into a Quick Reply box will disappear if you use the Back or Forward buttons and then come back to the sp page containing the Quick Reply box.

In addition, I often get stuck in infinite loading cycles after I submit a post.

Finally, I notice my clipboard stops working correctly when I try to cut and paste stuff from a post into the Quick Reply box. I find myself unable to copy things anymore.

I use FF1.0.7 almost exclusively when browsing sp. The goal of javascript is to improve usability of a web page, but in my opinion the usability of the sp forums as suffered tremendously--all caused by chasing the latest fad(Ajax) and targeting a broken browser(IE6).

And why the heck doesn't the Quick Reply box have a button for code tags?
    Last edited by 7stud; Jan 30, 2007 at 23:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running FF 1.5.09 here and about 30% of the magical ajax sites out there seem to be that way. Haven't tried running off against IE 7 to see if there's any difference, but I think that FireFox has an issue with WikiMapia that demands you apply the free memory on minimize setting and minimize the FireFox window every so often to free up memory.
    Released under the Fiasco Labs Digital Damnation Copywright,
    it's yours to make whatever the 7734 you want with it.

(c) 2005 Fiasco Labs All Wrongs Reserved

.* draziW tnioPetiS *. bronze trophy
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7stud, any reason why you have not upgraded to 1.5.x?

Not that 1.0.7 is bad... I am sure you have your reasons, but maybe that will make things a tiny bit better for you... I use FF 1.5.09 on my PC, and things seem to function properly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mhulse View Post
    7stud, any reason why you have not upgraded to 1.5.x?

Not that 1.0.7 is bad... I am sure you have your reasons, but maybe that will make things a tiny bit better for you... I use FF 1.5.09 on my PC, and things seem to function properly.
    Even 1.5.x is old now. Why not use 2.0.1?

.* draziW tnioPetiS *. bronze trophy
    "Then I figure the most good good guy will win."
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was under the assumption that 2.0 would eventually auto-update (6 mo. after public release?)

For me, I want to upgrade with the non-uber-user public.

Additionally, it seems like 1.5 is pretty stable... 2.0 may still have some issues.

Just my $0.0002.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use FF2.0.1 and love it. The only thing I have noticed is that when I shut my computer down, FF does not let go, have a hard time closing it. It seems to want to hang on to dear life -- Datura
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Bleys's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The text areas in the Quick Reply used to erase text for me on back/forward when the forum was running vB 3.0.3. I don't think that's anything new... actually, it's gotten better, as it used to be that when I went back/forward the text area would "lock" (go gray) and I would have to reload to be able to type in it. That doesn't happen anymore, at least.
    Josh is a ghost
    rails & work & twitter

Organization is the
    death of creativity.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the issue of FF not keeping text in the quick reply box upon using the back/forward button is to do with the number of pages it caches for "instant back" support. So in most cases it just reloads the page when you press back/forward. I think the default is 4 or thereabouts. Apparently FF starts to use huge amounts of memory if it becomes any reasonable number like 10 or more. Opera seems to have no problem with "instant back" for any page though...

I don't know why the quote, edit, post reply, etc. buttons have been changed again... they were much nicer yesterday.