SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check Database based on Dropdown Selection?

My first post to this/any forum...be gentle.

I’ve searched everywhere but have found nothing (but more confusion)…so, I’ve come to the experts. What I have works, but I need to add some functionality...by Monday a.m.

To start, I guess my first question should be “Based on a user dropdown box selection, can you search a database field for an ASP session value (count) and return an Alert Message if DB field value is the same as user selection and that DB field count is = 25?”

Scenario:
    Users register for classes (there are 15 different classes within 3 different session dropdown boxes--5 class options per session)—I believe this would be stated as having 3 arrays (named session1[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6], session2[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6], and session3[0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6].

Where,
    [0] option is Select One
    [1] thru [5] are five different class/course options from which they may select
    [6] option is No Thank You (because I want to know they just didn’t skip it, they have to select something)

• Page 1: form for users to select/register for classes.
    • Page 2: allows users a chance to review/modify their data before final submission.
    • Page 3: submits data to DB and display confirmation to user.

NEED THIS functionality added:
    * Want to limit registration for each class within each session to 25.
    * When 26th (or later) person tries to register (selects from dropdown) for any class in any session, check the DB and they get an alert message (Sorry, this class is full. Please select another.)

Afterthought, but not necessary:
    Array options [1] thru [5] would disappear (hide) as appropriate after 25 people have registered for each option.

I have faith someone will tell/show me how easy this is...(and make me feel more incompetent). Please, your help is very much appreciated. I'll be in/out of forum until midnight Sunday 1/28/07 if need be...
    --
    Regards,

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check Database based on Dropdown Selection?

Mentors? Gurus? Moderators? Anyone?

Guess Saturday's not a good night...will keep checking back. Thanks.