Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To make SiteMeter transparent go to:

Meter Options >
    Customizable Visitor Counter >
    Digit Color > sb Transparent

This is one of the options of SiteMeter graphics and you can make it transparent with no problem, it is not going against any rule...

As with many of the free options you have limits. By putting the graphic on each page it will track the exact number of pages viewed but it doesn't "yet" track the individual pages other than entry/exit...I had a relatively small site and set up a different account for the pages that I wanted to track - they were individual photographer's gallery pages that I made within a photographic organization's site - I just didn't want the huge HitBox graphic and SiteMeter had most of the features that I needed compared to others that I tried.

SiteMeter's JavaScript will track referrals to your site but the HTML regular does not...while using Homestead the HTML was the only one that was compatible.

The webmaster is open to ideas and I'm sure this is one that he would work on...just email him your request.

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using the EXTREME-DM tracker for many years now to help track information about how many people visit my website, who they are, where they're from, and general information about their internet setup..

Problem is, the button doesnt look very professional on a business site. I'm in search of a good tracker that will do generally the same thing and is easy to maintain.

Any suggestions?

Sparkie

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sparkie, you may like to check out this thread, if you have not done so already: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000893.html

------------------
    Methven Online - www.methven.org.uk
    Subtle Measures - www.subtle-measures.co.uk

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered using log files? you don't need to have a button if you use these, and they are much more accurate and speedier.

If you want a remotely hosted tracker, I'd say that SiteMeter is the most professional of all.

Also, http://www.thecounter.com has a free tracker that you can make invisible.

Good Luck!

------------------
    Aidan Bahta
    abahta@flashmail.com

ActiveWM.com - The place for the Active Webmaster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SiteMeter.com, SiteMeter.com, SiteMeter.com.

Fabulous service, tiny little button...graphical charts and graphics...excellent in every way.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with TWTcommish about using SiteMeter - I have used this hit counter for the last few years, primarily because of the great webmaster and service and...

You don't even have to have the small graphic...you can have it transparent on your page, with only you having access of the stats and even have them emailed to you on a daily or weekly basis!

It tracks where your visitors come from, entry and exit pages, domains and operating systems and more...check it out!

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About sitemeter..
    Just installed on my site after reading here and not liking graphic from hitbox.
    Does it, or how do I make it recognize individual pages? One of the stats talks about entry and exit pages...but it says page is unknown. Hitbox identified individual pages by me entering the name on the counter in each page.

Sitemeter does not suggest this, it only refers to pasting the code on each page. I use dreamweaver so sitemeter said to use the javascript. I copied and pasted it into the body like I THINK I should have
    It's on www.doyuma.com if you care to see how I put it. No complaints about the pages..I'm REAL new at this stuff!

Also...a previous post said you can make it transparent.....how, and is that ok with sitemeter?
    Thanks John

Skills to Pay the Bills Sparkie's Avatar
    A cave with 47 computers and an internet feed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sitemeter sounds like a great service! I'll give it a look soon, thanks guys and gals (and webkats!) =^.^=

I dont know how I missed the other post about web trackers...... oops

Sparkie

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks WebKat!

Will go look at making it transparent.
    Unfortunately...looks like sitemeter took a dump today! Graphics aren't loading, they did after I first installed. Makes the pages hang for about 30 seconds.

Can't log in to sitemeter at this moment either.

And I just sent some friends to my site to show how small the graphic is!! Heck! Not even there now! Just my luck, think I'm onto something good and it goes down the same day!

(not intended as a complaint, outage may have been planned and anounced)

John

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, everyone. I was updating Site Meter today and had to reboot one of the servers and unfortunately it didn't comeback up. I've got a technician looking at the problem and it should be back up in a few minutes.

David Smith
    SiteMeter.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by JohnAz:
    Thanks WebKat!

John
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Sitemeter still having problems ? I still can't see my tracker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checked mine and SiteMeter is ok...

Sometimes you may just need to refresh your page...

av1998: SiteMeter's graphic is showing on your website when I just viewed it.

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using SiteMeter for over a year and I'd say they average a little bit of downtime every few months at most. Glad to see Mr. SiteMeter himself is a SitePoint member! Hi Dave...great service!

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just signed up for sitemeter, and I must say that you've so many possibilities... I think it's one of the best tracking services on the web but I haven't seen so many. At least it's better than FastCounter

I'll insert the code tomorrow and than watch the fun (I hope). Great service, David!

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I'm sure SiteMeter is good, I still reccomend using a CGI script. You can display whatever you want, and you don't have to wait for the graphic to display like other services. You can find one at www.hotscripts.com in their Counter section.

------------------
    Justin Stayton
    WEB: http://www.j.cx
    EMAIL: justin@j.cx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI: Yesterday I emailed Dave at SiteMeter with the question that has been brought up about whether they would be adding the feature to track individual pages rather than just exit/entry and he replied Today to say that he is working to add that feature and more to come...

That kind of involvement is what makes the service at SiteMeter great. Also some free web sites, Homestead for one, doesn't have the ability to use CGI...

Since I haven't had any problems to date (it has been 2 years now) with slow loading of their hit counter on my pages...as long as it has the features that I need and the support of the webmaster, I'll stay!

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using SiteMeter since yesterday, and I think that it's one of the best services on the web. I'll only have to insert the JavaScript code so that I can see from where they come (what URL).

------------------
    Elledan Dunedain
    Webmaster
    www.emudreams.web.com