User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I really need XSLT ?

Is posible this work method for Web Sites with XML?:

1. I made an XML file with all my data

2. I create diferent html templates files with blank spaces reserved to de XML data.

3. I ask to my Perl-programmer friend (im on a Unix server) to create a server script that get the data from my XML file and shows it on the browser using my templates. (excuse my english please)

If this is posibly and viable, what is the meanning of using XSLT files ?

Thanx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would be a job for a XSL stylesheet.

An XSL stylesheet can display elements in your XML file inside HTML tags when the data is displayed using XSLT.

You could have your links always appear with the <p> tag around them and so on. From what your describing , using your Perl programmer to display the data might be more suitable for your site.

XSL formats raw XML files into easy to view tables and such. Ever view a XML file from IE or Netscape 6.0? Ungly comes to mind. Also I've only seen short sweet and simple XSL documents. A larger and more complicated XSL with some nice CSS could generate pages on the fly without using one drop of HTML code.

SitePoint Evangelist azizur_rahman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you developing the content for the web because I think most web browser yet dont have a decent XML parser yet....
    Azizur Rahman
    Web Application Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by azizur_rahman
    Are you developing the content for the web because I think most web browser yet dont have a decent XML parser yet....
    Actually, IE does do a pretty nice job, but the data is in XML format. What this topic mentions though is XML server-side, and there are plenty of parsers for that.