User Tag List

Thread: Suggestion

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggestion

Hi my forum is still fairly new. I get a good amout of people visting, well at least i think anyway. Anyway most of them don't even bother to register. So i came up with an idea. I want to make a guest forum where guest can post anything without registering. Do u guyz think that is a good idea? is that what u have to do for a new forum so that it's up to them to register later on if they like your forum... Any suggestions or ideas would be greatful

Thanks..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That depends on your goal. Alot of forum communities send out newsletters to their users with various offers and or community information. So if this is one of your goals it would be best to make sure everyoen registers so that you can have a list of your visitors email addresses. However if you dont plan on sending any such newsletters or promotional offers you can allow unregistered users to post to draw them in. After they become comfortable in your community they will most likely register anyway.
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey thanx for the comment. My goal is of course to get memebers to register, I suppose once i have bulit up the community then i'll change that forum to register user only. Do u think that would get of hand if i allow guest to post?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly that depends on the types of users that frequent your community. If your community is geared towards professionals and somewhat older and more mature individuals I would not think you would have many problems. However if your site is geared towards attracting a younger crowd or non professionals I would have serious reservations about allowing non registered members to post.
    Straight from the TP! And I don't mean the Trailer Park.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem with not requiring guests to register is that they could abuse your board and there's no much you can do about it. If you have memberships, you can just deactivate their memberships. It is just a lot more secure and safe that way. Plus, members could impersonate each other if you didn't require membership.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah ok..kool thanx. I think I might dish that whole idea..
    I have another question. I've read allot about running a contest to get members to come back to your site for often, or something to inspire them. q. How would I go about doing this?

q. where or who would I find sponsor who will actually give you the prize.

q what are the best way to approach them so that they would consider donating that prize to you?

thanx
    Last edited by sblasters; Jan 13, 2002 at 11:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by gazal
    ah ok..kool thanx. I think I might dish that whole idea..
    I have another question. I've read allot about running a contest to get members to come back to your site for often, or something to inspire them. q. How would I go about doing this?

q. where or who would I find sponsor who will actually give you the prize.

q what are the best way to approach them so that they would consider donating that prize to you?

thanx
    I would recommend you check The Trading Post here in the SitePoint Marketplace.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi MJ, thanx for the advice i've put what i required in the trading post, but while i was browsing the forum i notice it was more of a trade thing. Wherether or not my ad is going to work who know. I guess i need to do some more research one this one.. anyway thanx again..

Gazal