User Tag List

Thread: DOM question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DOM question

Code:
    <span id="crumbs_section"><a href="a.com">Articles</a></span> - <span id="crumbs_category"><a href="b.com">Afghanistan</a></span> // <a href="#">Send to a friend</a>
    using DOM, im trying to grab "Articles" and "Afghanistan". Here are my attempts:

- document.getElementById('crumbs_section').firstChild.nodeValue; - this gives me "null"
    - document.getElementById('crumbs_section').nextSibling; - this gives me [object text]
    - document.getElementById('crumbs_section').nextSibling.nodeValue; - this gives me "-"

and i get similar results when trying to grab Afghanistan. I thought that the a-tag is a child of the span tag, and im therefore confused as to why firstChild.nodeValue gives "null"?

cause of the cms im using, i cant assign an id to the a-tag, only to a tag i wrap it in. can anyone help me out? much appreciated!
    I need someone to protect me from
    all the measures they take in order to protect me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This works:
    Code:
    document.getElementById ('crumbs_section').firstChild.firstChild.nodeValue
    Remember: the first node of the span is the a-element. The first node of the a-element is a text node with node value "Articles"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, thanks!
    I need someone to protect me from
    all the measures they take in order to protect me

doRighteousDeeds++
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:

<script type="text/javascript">

window.onload = function () {

alert(document.getElementById('crumbs_section').nextSibling.nodeName); // #text

alert(document.getElementById('crumbs_section').nextSibling.nodeValue); // -

alert(document.getElementById('crumbs_section').nextSibling.nextSibling.nodeName); // span

alert(document.getElementById('crumbs_section').nextSibling.nextSibling.firstChild.nodeName); // A

alert(document.getElementById('crumbs_section').nextSibling.nextSibling.firstChild.firstChild.nodeValue ) ; // Afghanistan

alert(document.getElementById('crumbs_section').nextSibling.nextSibling.nextSibling.nodeName ) ; // #text 

alert(document.getElementById('crumbs_section').nextSibling.nextSibling.nextSibling.nodeValue ) ; //  //

alert(document.getElementById('crumbs_section').nextSibling.nextSibling.nextSibling.nextSibling.nodeName ) ; // A

alert(document.getElementById('crumbs_section').nextSibling.nextSibling.nextSibling.nextSibling.firstChild.nodeValue ) ; // Send to a friend

}
    </script>

<span id="crumbs_section"><a href="a.com">Articles</a></span> - <span id="crumbs_category"><a href="b.com">Afghanistan</a></span> // <a href="#">Send to a friend</a>