SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist sitedesigner's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benefits of Business School?

My main question is this: what is the benefit of attending business school, and obtaining an MBA?

-thanks!
    █ [o] Programmer? PM me!
    █ [o] Getting back into the Business
    █ [o] Sitedesigner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Proves your worth to potential employees. Knowing "tech" just doesnt cut it any more. Understanding the whole business makes you more rounded than the average computer geek. It's easy to outsource tech jobs,but less easy to outsource those jobs that require real business knowledge.
    Fast Fwd Multimedia
    Web, IT & Cloud Computing Consultancy
    Currently looking for web freelancers. Get in touch!

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    962 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    I think it's invaluable if you have the opportunity. I work as a web developer for a huge corporation. The web development bit is the easy part... learning the business part is the tricky bit. I say go for it if you can.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Business should be made a requirement for most tech-related degrees. It would sure beat the hassle of trying to jump through extra hoops just to get into some of those classes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my country we have a weird thing going on. People run for degrees, certifications as if they were candies. I fell into this trap some years ago and even if I did my college studies I was shocked to see that I just don't need the diploma and these things as I thought I would need them.

When I got my job as a radio dj 8 years ago I just finished highschool. I was accepted there and started going to college and also work myself dead at the radio. Then I started designing a site and little by little I started getting a portfolio and clients. Then I got hired at a design firm with NO college degree for this (we are starting now having some courses, but with unprepared teachers most of the time) but my portfolio.

After some time I stopped working there since a new radio station opened and I got a way bigger salary. And now I am opening my own small design firm.

I don't have any degree in economics, but I know how to count, make some calculations and also am smart enough to set up some prices and have them cover my expenses. I have an accountant for when I am not able to think too well in economic terms. I still don't have a degree in design and now I just don't need it anymore. I have a friend who's studing it at school and still I have to teach her photoshop and dreamweaver and how to manage a layout and so on. But she's the one to be in 2-3 years a college graduate with less knowledge than I had in my first year of design. The difference between me and her is that I spend 10-15 hours a day reading articles, writing tutorials and articles myself, working on sites, installing hacks on my 11 forums, working for my clients and so on. I am still going to the radio and when i ma there and have some time I browse forums and read more articles.

A college degree is a good thing. But I think we also need to understand that NOTHING in this world is as important as dedicated work. A lot of work. I have thousands of work hours already (cannot make the calculation anymore, but I have spent 5 years of my life doing this). it's more than 5 years of college. I have worked in 1 week more than these students in an entire semester. What drives me is the pure passion I have for this thing. The constant "fight" with myself and my limits. Unfortunately I never had teachers, but I read like crazy everything I could. I made so many mistakes but I also learnt from them. I have grown from a total - beginner - cannot - install - a - FTP - client person to a designer who's got some very pleased clients and is ready to take on the world as a business venture owner.

I am not trying to diss the value of college in here. I am just trying to explain that no matter how many years and how many specializations you have, experience comes from A LOT of work and passion. Have the passion and work like there's no tomorrow. And then all this will pay off

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am actually thinking if getting my MBA right now. I have a BS in computer Science but I don't want to get even more technical with an MS. For me it would be worth it because of what I would learn. I don't care about the piece of paper. But I think the experience and education I got from it would be invaluable.

What is it that is making you consider it? Is it because you want to learn? Do you want the piece of paper because it will bring you more career opportunities? What exactly is your motivation behind it?
    Sara

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least from my point of view MBAs are pointless from a educational point of view, they are all about status and getting the appropriate connections (this
    is a bit true of all grad degrees, but very much so for MBAs) If you are more interested in matters from an intellectual view than a degree in ecomonics would be more fruitful.

If you decide to get a MBA try to get into the best program possible, the connections you get at a top MBA program will be invaluable throughout your life.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaily View Post
    At least from my point of view MBAs are pointless from a educational point of view, they are all about status and getting the appropriate connections (this
    is a bit true of all grad degrees, but very much so for MBAs)
    Law and medicine? Well okay maybe you're right about law
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaily
    If you are more interested in matters from an intellectual view than a degree in ecomonics would be more fruitful.
    While I agree with the main premise of your sentence here, a graduate degree in economics can be far more useful than in just academic/intellectual exercises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaily
    If you decide to get a MBA try to get into the best program possible, the connections you get at a top MBA program will be invaluable throughout your life.
    Agreed, and not just the student connections. Make nice with your professors.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should not go into management if it is not what you really want. It is not only about the bigger paycheck and status. It might be really hard for you to accept new responsibilities. You might even be good at it, but what if you dont enjoy it? What if you really hate it in the end. It is one thing to study and completely different one to live it
    and yet another one to pay off the loans

No money can buy you happiness. You spend most of your life working, you should make the best of it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you want to do in life.

You CAN learn most business aspects from the internet for free.
    But that is with just about everything now.

If you want to work for top companies I suppose it would help. But for a average management job you DO NOT need it a HS Degree will do it(atleast in NYC)

It all depends on what you want to do.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reldapimp View Post
    It depends on what you want to do in life.

You CAN learn most business aspects from the internet for free.
    But that is with just about everything now.

If you want to work for top companies I suppose it would help. But for a average management job you DO NOT need it a HS Degree will do it(atleast in NYC)

It all depends on what you want to do.
    I strongly agree with your point.

I feel that most of everything in life or in whatever things we do whether be it in work or whatever, we get the best of learning through experience and actual training.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we get the best of learning through experience and actual training.
    No, you learn the most from your education. Without being taught you would never be able to figure out simple things like numbers, basic Arithmetic etc. Humans learn from others, there is no sense trying to learn something from experience that you could learn it in a day by reading or talking to a professor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaily View Post
    No, you learn the most from your education. Without being taught you would never be able to figure out simple things like numbers, basic Arithmetic etc. Humans learn from others, there is no sense trying to learn something from experience that you could learn it in a day by reading or talking to a professor.
    I am not sure of how this age old thread bumped up, but I'd definitely want to give my point here.

At 17 years of age, and owning a successful marketing business with a big network of sites of my own. Continuing my studies further or no was a crucial decision for someone like me.

Believe me, I thought degrees were a waste of time. I graduated with my Secondary School Certificate here in India and dropped plans of continuing my studies further. I spent two whole years looking for what I wanted in life, I went from an Internet Marketing Consultant to becoming a Full time Webmaster and coming back to Consultancy again. I was at a fast pace of life (I still am), and was admiring my decision of not going in for those Degree plans. I was making moolah and everything was fine, until after a while. When that sense of incompletion began cropping in.

I signed up for a Diploma in Business Management and completed all modules within 9 months, my professors were impressed and have now signed up for a graduation course in Business Administration (Marketing).

Mark my words, I now know a lot more than I ever knew before. And am learning everyday. I was fond of marketing and this helped me a lot in my studies. It's no longer a waste of time for me, but something that has helped me a lot. I discuss with my professors a lot. The library is my favourite place and I have researched over 3000 case studies right now. Yes even the Keyword Elite Michael Plante Case study.

For those of you, who believe that employers don't look for Degrees. I've got news for you, Employers do look at degrees. I know I do. No offence, but if you can get a job at some place right out of high school, not everyone can. It's hard to get a Job, it's even harder without a degree.

I agree certs won't get you very far, but atleast can provide that Kick Start

My 2 Cents

Cheers,
    Abhishek

Whoaaa my first proper post on Sitepoint!
    Early 2 bed & Early 2 rise
    Work like hell and Advertise

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im thinking of getting an MBA but i dont feel like its worth it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

If getting an MBA will enhance your credibility in your chosen career path, then go for it, however if just end up another 9-5 slave working overtime beyond your means and hating the office life, then why bother!

REMEMBER: an MBA is only a step, the real world teaches the practical and applicable important part that you can't get from reading all business related textbooks on earth.

VERY IMPORTANT : Get your Finances in check b/c top MBA schools cost $$$$$$$!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankly having got an MBA and previously being a programmer, i actually found the qualification detrimental at interviews, they only wanted experience and previous team leader positioning. On the
    other hand if your looking to start/run a business, an MBA will teach you many useful skills.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are so much of benefits of business school. Its very helpful to those person who didnt know how to do the business. The main aim of business is to get maximum gain or profit in minimum loss. This all type of studies you can get from the Business School...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is important to obtain master degree or graduate school, especially when you want a promotion, or if you want to obtain a higher education.