SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on using an RTE and my small cms

I have made a very basic cms for my clients where the editing of their pages is done on a central subdomain.

Now the issue is that when i design the sites i tend to use a fair amount of css styling in the content area.

I have tried using tinymce as i need the client to see the wording and not all the html...however none of the styling applies within the textarea. This makes it look nothing like what it will look like, plus they may end deleting certain styles.

(eg) if an image has been inserted at the design stage by myself (outside of the tinymce editor) and has a class tag attached, then if the user deletes that image and puts another in, the styling will have been lost and not added on the new image.

How can i get around this...what is the normal procedure for this? The only way around this that i can see, is not use any css on the content that is editable by the client, although this would be somewhat limiting!?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds to me like you should be posting this question to the WYSIWYG forums instead of here. tinyMCE may have an option to allow for external styles affecting the current writing for instance. I might check on their forum.

Dave

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...you mean on SP or tinymce forum? I don't see a sub forum here for WYSIWYGs...

Besides, i'm looking to hear what others do when designing a site where a user can edit their own content via javascript...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once the img is deleted it's away and the class attribute with it. There's no way the editor could "know" which class to attach to the "new" img

As a blunt ad I'd like to warmly recommend Xinha - The Community-built Open Source Online HTML Editor
    Last edited by raimund; Jan 25, 2007 at 14:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try to implement another editor then TinyMCE. I think this one http://www.wymeditor.org/en/ could suite your needs, but it is realy matter on how site is coded.