SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the best image compresor software ?

Simple question
    What is the software that create the most quality graphics in a smaller size. (Gif, Jpg)

What is the diference (in byte size) from the others.

Thanxs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any image manipulation program is going to have some compression options. What program are you currently using?

There are compression services out there on the Internet, however, I've had much success using standard programs.

I really like The GIMP; freeware and extremely powerful.

If you want to dish out some money, Fireworks is regarded as an excellent graphics program here on the forums.

There are some on-line alternatives -- MyImager.com is a decent image manipulation service on-line -- I believe it has some compression options.

Hope this helps; good luck.
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember Ignite being quite good when I tried it. Others I've seen recommended were Ulead's SmartSaver Pro and Xat.

SitePoint did a review of SmartSaver vs. Ignite a while back, so you may want to read that, too.

~~Hope This Helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a free online service provided by Adobe: http://webservices.adobe.com/optimize/main.html - highly recommended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent link mjames that I pointed a mate to long so long ago who said they had 'compressed' their images Great piece of server scripting that, and very nice of Adobe to provide it

My actual favorite is the 'save for web' out of Photoshop 6...it's quick, you can compare different images with different compressions, keeps the files trim..lurvley, all within my favorite image manipulation package (only use Image Ready for some tasks). To be fair though, its quite a heft price to pay for what you are looking for, go to www.tucows.com and have a look, maybe try a couple out.

Like Aes said, most image applications will have some form of JPEG/GIF compression and export, really you want a feature that compares the images so you can try different compressions. I have also heard that Fireworks (also expensive), is an excellent web graphics tool - I believe you can 'work' on compressed images (well it gives you a preview while you work) so you can see exactly what they are going to look like. It also has some great tools for creating web graphics. I'm fine with Photoshop and Image Ready (Image Ready incidentally comes free with Photoshop 5.5 and above!).

One final thought, I believe they have released a cut down version fo Photoshop called Photoshop Elements or something like that... visit www.adobe.com I'm sure that it would do you nicely as its far cheaper than Photoshop, not certain on the web export features though... If they are the same as Photoshops (which they probably are) you wuldnt go far wrong buying that.

Hope this helps
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips