SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Kat's Meow Senior ******* WebKat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could use some feedback - this is a really basic question but I wonder how others keep track of all the info/images/etc that is part of their website.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Do you keep all the subdirectories of images/pages in one folder and manually keep track of it's size...
    <LI>Does your hosting company keep track of the size...
    <LI>CuteFTP shows each of the folder sizes but when you view the www/ folder it always shows 1024k...
    <LI>I'm using Dreamweaver but there are some images there that are not uploaded to my pages...
    <LI>Do you have another way?
    </UL>

I'm not using a paid hosting company. I am using 'Free' NetFirms at the moment which has 25 MB of space including CGI-bin. Under each account, I have multiple web galleries for different people and my own website, each in it's own folder/directory and would like to keep track of each individual web gallery/website and also the entire size of everything under each NetFirms account...not that I will go over 25 MB &lt;grin&gt;

I have 3 NetFirm accounts and I'm assuming that I will have to do this manually...At the time being I'm just adding all the folder sizes together and keeping them in my databinder but wondered if there was another way to go...

Thanks, WebKat

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat
    "Let's keep Ethics on the Web"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by WebKat:
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Do you keep all the subdirectories of images/pages in one folder and manually keep track of it's size...
    <LI>Does your hosting company keep track of the size...
    <LI>CuteFTP shows each of the folder sizes but when you view the www/ folder it always shows 1024k...
    <LI>I'm using Dreamweaver but there are some images there that are not uploaded to my pages...
    <LI>Do you have another way?
    </UL>
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I usually have most of the files on my site on my hard drive as well (whenever possible)...this makes it fairly easy to estimate what the total size might be.

As for webhosts, most keep track of the webspace being used to make sure no one goes over their limit...although many of them will allow you a little "breathing room" if need be.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have access to telnet, login to your account. Go to the root directory or any other folder you want to check for size and type:

du -sh

Enjoy!

Boris

------------------
    Echo Web Network http://EchoWebHQ.com http://EchoDev.com http://WebDevExchange.com

[This message has been edited by wluke (edited July 06, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose I was hoping that there was a program that you could use and 'wa la' there was the website's size...

All my sites are on my hard drive and backed up so I suppose I will just count manually and add them up as I have been doing until someone designs the program of my dreams...

Echoweb: Will try Telnet - haven't used that before other than my college email.

Thanks, WebKat

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, Boris...I know I've mentioned this before, but your signature is still far too long. At some point earlier a moderator went as far as to edit it down...I highly suggest you drop it to 4 lines, which I believe is the new limit (up from 3, actually).

------------------
    Chris Bowyer - Programmer in Training
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several ways to keep track of the size of your site.

First on your harddrive. If you have a copy of your site (and everyone should) on your harddrive, just right-click on the master folder and choose properties.

Second Telnet as listed above.

If your site host support FP 2000 Extensions and your using Windows 98 you can download "WebFolders" from Microsoft. This gives you FTP access to your site but it appears just like a folder in Explorer. You can right-click this folder and select properties to get the information.

------------------
    Wayne Luke - Sitepoint Forums Administrator
    Digital Magician Studios - Making Magic with Web Applications
    wluke@digitalmagician.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is on the edge of offtopic, but anyways...

Telnet is one of the most insecure protocols ever. It is really easy to set up a password sniffer and get everyone's account password, along with everyting they do. Think of Telnet as yelling your password in the middle of Times Square after the newspapers have made it a front-page story.

So there arose a protocol named SSH - secure shell. It is essentially a secure telnet protocol. Most hosts offer it simply because it's good not only for you but for them too, because if a cracker can compromise one account then they will probably be able to gain root or bog down the server (while(1){print " ";}).

So please, please use SSH. It not only saves you, but it also saves everyone else's password (on the same server or network), makes the host happy, and saves other servers outside the network ([url-http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/06/29/1228235&mode=nested]they won't sue you![/url]).

A great SSH client for use outside of the US is PuTTY.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all your replies Just thought that there was a Techno Way that others knew about that I didn't...

Your answers at least confirmed that I was doing it right...<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Each of my websites are in a separate file on my hard drive and<LI> I have been right clicking the file properties to see the sizes of each of my sites.</UL>

Thanks for the input, WebKat

------------------
    My PawPrints by WebKat