SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dedicated Server Recommendation?

Simply put: I need a dedicated server. I'm not starving for bandwidth and I don't need TONS of space, but I do need something reliable above all else. Some kind of managed hosting that I can count on, that can take care of the tech stuff and leave me to upload and such for the most part, would be best. I'll also need access to PHP and MySQL...so I don't know if those things come standard, or if it'll cost extra to have them installed.

Any advice?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out http://www.burst.net. Their prices are good and they may be what you are looking for. You may not need the CPanel software though. It is your server so you choose what is installed and what is not (you install it yourself). Good luck.
    Joel Croft
    Everyone's Hosting
    Domain hosting and registration

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I can handle that...I'm gonna need something managed, where I'm not responsible for things like performance and, above all, security. Something where I can perhaps hire the people now and then to install things for me. I don't have the expertise need to run this thing myself.

insert witty comment here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend www.venturesonline.com - but be aware that they are moving to a new (and better) data center mid january and so arent taking any new dedicated server orders. But the move should be done within a day or so.
    They have great support staff and are always willing to help with server problems even though they may not officialy be 'managed'. Also they have stated that when they come back up to full speed in january they will be offering managed servers too.

Lots of other options around the web too though if you need it sooner.

Myros
    NeuralStudios.com
    Art, design, development and web management services.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about any shared host that also offers dedicated servers should be pretty well equiped to take care of your needs. You would be basically a shared hosting customer with your own IP, paying more.
    Melissa
    HostRocket.com Support
    http://www.hostrocket.com

SitePoint Cofounder Mark Harbottle's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've hosted SitePoint.com and SitePointForums.com at a number of managed hosting facilities and RackSpace.com rocks above all others. Their customer support is amazing. I'd check them out if I were you.
    Mark Harbottle - Co-Founder
    sitepoint.com - Master The Web!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, if you have the cash lying around rackspace is supposed to be the best in that dept.
    Melissa
    HostRocket.com Support
    http://www.hostrocket.com

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for RackSpace here, a project I got involved in last year was using their dedicated server servicd, and we asked them to install PostgreSQL for us and it was done within 2 hours. This wasn't even a managed server, just a dedicated server -- they were under no obligation to listen to us after they heard the words 'Can you install ..'.

But, whilst I can sing RackSpace's praises all day, why not use this as a learning experience and manage it yourself? (Or pay me to manage it!!). But seriously, get a copy of Red Hat (or whatever operating system you are gonna get on the server), partition your hard drive, install the operating system, then install Apache, PHP, MySQL and stuff yourself, and just play around! You'd be surprised at how much you learn.

p.s. That offer of paying me to manage your server was serious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't afford to play around -- this is important. I appreciate the offer, but I don't know you all that well.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe, understandable. But I really would recommend learning and doing it yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VenturesOnline comes highly recommended by me. I've been with them for a few weeks and experienced great uptime (not a minute of downtime I'm aware of), superb support, and affordable pricing. They are honest, above else. Keep in mind, though, they are moving their servers from Vereo to their own data center, so all clients will experience a bit of downtime as the physical data is being moved to a new location. It'll work out, though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi TWTCommish-

You are in the same boat as myself. My clients are too important to experiment with. It could get you a bad reputation in the process, if you crash the server and can't get it back up in a timely manner. I do like the idea of practicing on a home server set up, where no one would be hurt. However, I'm looking for a good server admin training course in the Houston area.

Give Hostingmatters.com/dedicated.html a look before you decide. They live, breathe, and sleep(well, maybe not sleep, since they never do) server admin. As far as support goes...well, search anywhere and you will see they are one of the best. They started offering dedicateds about 3 months ago. The really great part is that they will manage it totally, while you handle "everyday" type support(email,control panel questions, ftp questions,etc.) and can concentrate on growing your business. In essence, they act as your server administrator, where you would have to hire someone else with that level of expertise for $40K to $60K per year to do it. Their servers are at NAC in New Jersey and are built by Pegasus (again, do a search and you will find these names among the most reliable). We have had accounts with them for 6 months and will be going dedicated in January.

No, I don't work for them and don't get a cut. It's just that I saw you are looking for something that we had been looking for.

-Lamar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by HRMelissa
    Yes, if you have the cash lying around rackspace is supposed to be the best in that dept.
    yup i was with rackspace last year for 6+ months service/support is great but at a price.. i moved and now have been with www.venturesonline.com for 10 months now and also have a 2nd server with rackshack.net for the last 4 months

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are tons of places you can check out for good deals. Here is just a sampling:

Pwebtech.com
    site5.com
    tera-byte.com
    venturesonline.com
    dtwebworks.com

I can highly recommend any of these dedicated hosting services to you.
    eMegaWeb.net Web Hosting: The Low-Cost Leader

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a Cobalt RAQ. Dead easy to handle with a simple control panel. They are not expensive to buy or you can lease one (better in my view because your hosting company has to maintain it).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Myros
    I'd recommend www.venturesonline.com - but be aware that they are moving to a new (and better) data center mid january and so arent taking any new dedicated server orders. But the move should be done within a day or so.
    They have great support staff and are always willing to help with server problems even though they may not officialy be 'managed'. Also they have stated that when they come back up to full speed in january they will be offering managed servers too.

Lots of other options around the web too though if you need it sooner.

Myros
    I'd like to second this recomendation. I have been with VO for about 6 months now, and their support is great. I sent in a support ticket at 2:30 a.m. and not only did someone respond with a few minutes, but fixed the problem just a quickly.

Misfit
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered a virtual private server? Take a look at http://www.cagedtornado.com for what I mean. You pretty much get a full-scale server for a fraction of the price (and space and bandwidth). An inexpensive way for you to learn.

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another managed dedicated server provider I would check out is www.dialtoneinternet.com

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't belive anyone hasn't suggested RackShack. Get a Raq - they are very easy to manage.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard RackShack's support is not so good. When I tried to email their sales it bounced! A bit worring for a dedicated hosting company.

Rackspace are good, but maybe past their prime.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a server with dialtone.net very pleased.

I screwed it up once and they fixed it for free.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by MPK
    I have heard RackShack's support is not so good. When I tried to email their sales it bounced! A bit worring for a dedicated hosting company.

Rackspace are good, but maybe past their prime.
    I'm currently hosted with Rackshack and for what I pay, I get excellent support. They have an irc server set up, and I can get help at 4 in the morning with no problem.
    Now offering amd and intel servers.. good deals

irc.ev1.net
    Zachary Boca
    NexAds, LLC
    Webmaster-related publishers receive a $15 signup bonus!
    http://www.nexads.com/temporarypubapp.html
    URL: http://www.NexAds.Com

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DEFINATELY DialTone Internet!

I would definately reccommend DialTone (www.dialtone.com) for dedicated servers. They are really inexpensive (usually have plans for around $150 / month) and have a state-of-the-art facility.

You can take a virtual tour of their facilities on their site. They have 2 OC12 connections and a multi-million dollar data-center.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Monthly Fees

I have used NoMonthlyFees for a couple of years and I am happy with them. Their tech support responds amazingly fast. You get PHP and MySQL as a standard feature. 500 MB of Space for only $200 (One-time fee). Yearly fees are only $70 and include Domain registration. It's worth a look!

NoMonthlyFees.com

<<Advisor Edit: We do not allow affiliate or referral links in the forums. Please read the community guidelines located at the bottom of every page>>
    Last edited by Sparkie; Jan 10, 2002 at 12:04.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend Rackspace above all else. It does cost a tad more than some other options, but if what your after is performance, uptime, reliablity, near-instant 24/7 support... then it's worth every penny. I've hosted with Rackspace for several years, and have all my sites such as www.AbsoluteCross.com, www.TutorialForums.com and a bunch of others hosted on the same server with no problems (and it's even pretty dated hardware by today's standards but it still keeps on chuggin )

Hope things go well for ya!
    Peace.