SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Capistrano deployment problem

My host is Dreamhost and I'm trying to deploy my first real RoR app into the wild.

I installed capistrano and setup my svn using Dreamhost's web panel and configured the deploy.rb file.

'cap setup' - works fine

When I run 'cap deploy' I get this:

Code:
        [nvsagebrush.com] executing command
     ** [out :: nvsagebrush.com] svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/sage'
     ** [out :: nvsagebrush.com] svn: PROPFIND of '/sage': 301 Moved Permanently (http://www.nvsagebrush.com)
        command finished
    Followed by more error messages and such from capistrano.

My repository code looks like this:
    Code:
    set :repository, "http://www.nvsagebrush.com/sage
    I have searched the web and found a few instances of this problem but nothing has helped fix it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you confirmed that you can use your browser to view the subversion repository at http://www.nvsagebrush.com/sage? What I'm leaning towards is an apache setup problem possibly for the repository.
    Erh

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am very new to svn repositories but yes I verified that the repository existed. I have resolved the problem after many hours of tweaking by rebuilding the repo and the deployment information from scratch. Everything deployed and now I'm getting a 'Rails application failed to run error'. Which I'm fairly certain is because I need to change the file permissions to allow for certain read/write privileges.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, here's the story. I've been working at deploying my application for hours every day. I've searched the net looking for troubleshooting tips, tweaks, and fixes and I have tried them all.

I'm working on deploying to a dreamhost server after developing within windows.

The app works fine running locally on WeBrick and in ./script/console

I have gotten Capistrano commands to execute without any errors so "cap setup" and "cap deploy" worked without a hitch.

Presently, I'm working on deploying a test application that simple outputs Time.now

I know that once this application works, I will be able to get my real app into the wild.

I went to my URL and says

Application error
    Rails application failed to start.
    I checked the following:
    - Modified the deploy.rb
    - I changed the "Shebang" line within the deployment files
    - I changed the file permissions of
    public
    public/dispatch.fcgi
    log
    tmp
    - I made sure the environment was set to production

As I said, I've been trying to figure this out for quite some time, hoping I'd come across the solution myself but it hasn't hit me yet and I must get this thing running this weekend.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Judging from the PROPSET error, it seems like you don't have your subversion repository setup properly. When you run rake remote:deploy that is actually checking out the latest copy from the subversion repository, and sending that to the server, NOT what is in your local copy. I'd suggest running svn status and seeing what files are not being committed (you can svn add them then do a svn ci . to upload everything) and solve any problems with that. Then do a cap --apply-to for the proper directory and it should work, or at least start giving you errors that you can troubleshoot better.