User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yourhostnow View Post
    How quickly do you think it will take for Vista to be the norm?
    I would say another 1/2 years until it's the norm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddM View Post
    Any confirmation about DirectX 10 only being released for Vista?
    I think it's pretty much confirmed at this point. But I doubt you'll be seeing any DX10-only games for a while outside of what Microsoft may produce.

SitePoint Enthusiast webDressing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

I would never want to be one of the first Guinea pigs to buy a new operating system from Microsoft. Wait at least 6 months to see what 'bugs' pop up. I've already heard a few bad things about vista that I'm waiting to see how they fix.

Like several of the other members here I second the Mac system. You hear all kinds of rumors about Macs on the net, but I found out the hard way that most of them are from people who have never used a Mac. Hands down OS X blows XP out of the water. We still have a PC but we use the Mac 95% of the time for good reason In a few months the new OS X will be released, and THAT will be one incredible operating system. Good luck with whatever you buy

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, just another crap on Vista day here at SP... Tons of people who haven't even used the OS tell you how horrible it is and how you should avoid it like the plague. Spurious DRM threats, which DO NOT effect your stolen media, it just effects files that you will be purchasing in the future, files you WOULDN'T be able to play otherwise.

It's just fun because everyone agrees with you when you're anti-Microsoft!

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I just stepped up to the place and bought a brand new Dell laptop with Vista! In a week, I'll chime in with my opinion.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither - Ubuntu Linux.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why not all 3?

With Parallels and/or boot camp, you can run all three OSX, XP and Vista. With enough memory, all at the same time. I use OSX, XP together all the time. Yea, say OSX. It has never let me down. No viruses, no spyware, no hassles. And anyone who is not using BBEdit really doesn't know what they are missing. Its the only software I have ever owned that has a salary adjustment setting. I know its rather confusing, there's only two versions- one for servers and one for everything else. Unless you are running dedicated servers, choose the other. It does come with php, apache, and will run a simple site with a single dialog setting. If you are running dedicated servers, it is capable of handling serious traffic, can you say, "ITMS?" or "Apple Store" or "Two Billion Song Downloads"? When I was selling video network management systems in the early 90's running OS8/9, I can't tell you how many "IT" guys from schools were asking me when you will have it running on a PC. I was told in no uncertain terms that Macs were toys and not serious computers. I just laugh today. Read this thread, the biggest complaint is about games. The biggest software sales category is games. Yet I have systems, still running OS9 up and running, all running web services, cgi gateways to a sql engine and never been hacked. Its a worthy, capable OS and merits consideration.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earther hit it on the nose. We have become a vulger stupid people. Most people in the know do wait at least a year to switch, but they may test the new operating system meanwhile. Funny how an ad isn't on tv telling people to wait for bugs to be worked out. Most cosumers go "DUH" and buy the new system and load their critical data. Naturally, they are too dumb to do a daily backup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by geraldartman View Post
    I use OSX, XP together all the time. Yea, say OSX. It has never let me down. No viruses, no spyware, no hassles.
    I agree 100%. However I don't want to see these xp/vista fanatics switching to OS X. If that would happen, just think of all the wonderful entertainment that we'd miss

I can't wait to see all the "I installed vista and now my computer has this problem..." threads coming our way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many old software cannot run in vista I have many problem after install RC-1 , I think now it better you choose XP run with you PC

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bought two brand new dell workstations in the past 2 months.

1 (XP) is for a specific dedicated use (in other words, not my day to day working PC).

The other (Vista Home Premium) I just bought last week to replace my 4 year old XP PC... that is my new day to day working PC.

I have to say I am loving Vista so far. And I'm just scratching the surface. It's a lot different from XP than you might realize if you haven't been exposed to it yet.

I've had a few minor compatibility probs with old software, but nothing serious.

I have no regrets, I could have bought both PC's XP pro but I chose to go for Vista on the one I bought last week (couldn't resist). Automatic updates and it's all good.

I like it a lot

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with Vista - it's always been hard to move to the next new operating system, but it's where all the new device drivers and software are. Plus Vista has a pretty cool user interface once you get used to it (which, granted, can take a little while). Plus it's a pain to upgrade from XP to Vista - it works, but if I had the option of going with Vista pre-installed, I would do it.
    Check out sypad.com for outsourced development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also advice you to buy a compute with Vista. As some of us have already mentioned it would be a a pain to upgrade from XP to Vista If your aim is Vista, why would you buy another version and upgrate it? Windows Vista is the latest release of Microsoft Windows don't waste your time and make a choice right choice!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah I forgot to mention that too.

If you plan to wind up with Vista at some point, it's better to start with a clean Vista install and just leave automatic updates on for patches.

Upgrading from XP to Vista later on might be more trouble than it's worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen a lot of people mention service packs, so I thought I'd toss in what Microsoft has released to us at work regarding them...

Service Pack 1 for Vista is slated for August, and will include fixes to discovered bugs as well as a couple features (they didn't specify) that weren't ready to ship in Vista back in October.

Service Pack 3 for XP is slated for Q1 of 2008, likely towards the end of February. As to what it includes, all I was told that it will be the standard accumulative SP with all updates up to the point of release, as well as some "features" (again, no word on what) backported from Vista.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by aventurer View Post
    it's always been hard to move to the next new operating system
    You need to qualify that statement. Its always been hard "on a PC" to install a new operating system - Mac uses have no such problem. No need for buying new computer parts, and no need for service packs to correct past mistakes in the OS. The process is completely automatic and usually takes less than 30 minutes

If you're going to buy vista, I would wait until they release the version with the service pack built it.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webDressing View Post
    You need to qualify that statement. Its always been hard "on a PC" to install a new operating system - Mac uses have no such problem. No need for buying new computer parts, and no need for service packs to correct past mistakes in the OS. The process is completely automatic and usually takes less than 30 minutes

If you're going to buy vista, I would wait until they release the version with the service pack built it.
    People who have drowned in the kool-aid have nothing relevant to say.
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree 100%. However I don't want to see these xp/vista fanatics switching to OS X. If that would happen, just think of all the wonderful entertainment that we'd miss

I can't wait to see all the "I installed vista and now my computer has this problem..." threads coming our way
    LOL...Just check http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ne...nG=Search+News on a daily basis.

Seriously, I think it's just common sense to wait a while before purchasing any new high tech software or hardware, just in case there are bugs to be worked out. I'm transitioning to a MacBook Pro (it leaves Microsoft in the dust), and I'll probably wait about six months after the next OS is released before I upgrade. If I was going to stick with M$, I might wait a year or more before upgrading to Vista.

But if M$ is going to support XP for a few more years, then I may never upgrade to Vista. One of the things I need a PC for is previewing websites in IE, and that's even becoming a declining priority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Installing a new operating system isn't a problem for PC users.

Moving to a new operating systems implies a learning curve, whether that OS is Windows, Linux, or even the beloved Apple OS.

The steepness and/or difficulty of the learning curve for any given OS depends more on the user and their personal experience level than anything intrinsic to the OS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Vista comes free then go for it

Vista does look awesome though...The task bar is so smooth and everything has such a clean look to it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I work at a major North American retail office supply store and we have 1 desktop left and 5 notebooks. The next batch we are getting in will be all Vista, so its not how fast, its just a matter of when. Come February, you will have a hard time finding XP pre-installed on a PC anywhere.
    Speaking of which, does anybody have any recommendations as to where I can still purchase a new laptop w/ some version of XP pre-installed? I'm baffled - I can't believe how all the major retailers are switching to Vista-only; it seems they would be alienating anyone smart enough to know that you should wait until Vista works out the kinks.

Any suggestions/links to decent sites where I can still purchase an XP laptop are greatly appreciated!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why buy a cheap OSX imitation (aka 'VISTA') when you can have OSX Leopard in March?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D Hunt View Post
    Why buy a cheap OSX imitation (aka 'VISTA') when you can have OSX Leopard in March?
    I want to be able to hook my machine into my corporate network without 3rd party add-ons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    naaaa, OVERRATED.....

just kidding. ;-)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say go with Xp for now if you won't considering switching to a Mac, just because XP is *a bit* more stable then Vista.