SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The last engine he created was the Doom 3 engine, which was widely regarded as being ahead of its time if you will. Carmack is best known for his innovation in the field when it comes to game engines. Perhaps today the D3 engine is a little behind, but last I heard, id software was working on new engine anyway.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I won't be buying Vista but i will be getting as I got a new laptop around late December-early January and it comes with a free upgrade to Vista once Dells gets off there a--butt and fixes there mistake.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using the release version of Vista right now, and I've got to say I love it. All my hardware works on my desktop, all my software is pretty much bug-free, and there are quite a few things that I love about this OS.

There is search everywhere! Every box you open can be searched from almost. Even the dedicated search control has a search box in the upper right corner. You can tag your files. That's a great thing to have too. Everything can be tagged and you can create quick-search folders that you can access at any time that will contain the files matching a search criteria. Also, the search is fast because Vista indexes all the files constantly.

If you have a recent mobile device that you use, you can sync it with Office easily. Overall, I love Vista, but it might not be for everyone.

-Nick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the second quarter of this year apparently they are due to re-release vista to get rid of some bugs already. There's no point in changing for another year maybe. PC's are changing soo much at the moment from conventional pc towers to e-cubes etc so buy xp for now because next year you'll probably need to update your pc and then you can get it when it is a little more stable.
    Visit me: Vkw91 | Lemoncurd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone on another forum reported that 8 of 12 software programs he tried to install on Vista wouldn't work. Needless to say, he went back to XP . . .

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just bought a new computer that came with Vista. It runs very smooth, but the only annoyance is that a lot of non microsoft software/hardware isnt yet compatible with vista. For instance I wanted to install a wireless adapter so that I can connect to my router wirelessly. None of dlinks adapters are vista compliant yet. they'll freeze your pc! I learned that the hard way, because their support doesnt know anything and they told me they were compliant. But most of linksys's adapaters are, so I bought one from them and it works great.

the other annoyance is that when you want to download a program from the web it wont list it as vista compatible. i cant really complain here because the os is so new, and this is expected. i would still be on xp if my computer didnt come with vista.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sitting here on vista at the moment.

The computer:
    LG S1 pro Express Dual P04A9
    1 GB 667 DDR2 ram
    ATI Radeon Mobile X1600

One important thing to realize is the upgrade structure from XP if you do choose to get a computer with XP currently on it and a "Free upgrade to Vista" included. Doing this upgrade will not only deactivate your XP serial but you can't install the upgrade without XP already installed. If you decide to reformat occasionally it'll be a pain in the ***.

Sadly, the only reason why I'll stay is because of the 'cleaner' skin so to speak that's default so I don't have to go through and install them. Yes, looks are important to me. I've realized a slowdown in my Winamp Milkdrop Visualization with the vista Aero interface activated. My laptop is noticably warmer. Actually this is the first time I've felt my laptop being warm.

Popups are everywhere, I mean everything you do it seems to pop up with something asking if you'd like to do this or that. No need to worry too much about that though, within a day I'm to the point where clicking past these dialogue boxes is a second nature hand movement.

With all the touting of security, it just asks you for your username and password when installing. No administrator password needed. If you want to do something as administrator you can right click on a program and say "run as administrator". No password prompt, nothing but a normal window of warning which you'll learn to automatically click 'next' on anyway.

That, and the command prompt window hasn't changed. I remember in XP the command prompt window would only fit half the screen when maximized. Well, nothing has changed there.
    http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=whoopgw4.jpg

Um.. Klondike (solitaire) is fancier, and it has a 3d chess board... Actually I wish 3d chess was something included in every *nix distro by default but doesn't.

There still is no tabs for Windows Explorer, which I knew about from the start. There isn't a way to keep one window ontop of the other as a sort've sticky. That's one feature I thought there would be.

It couldn't configure my agere ethernet 131x driver so I had to download that from another computer and install it.. I have to reconfigure it on every startup. That said, the interface for managing your computer is out of this world messy. It's essentially everywhere.

Overall, there is about the same driver support as I get with a typical *nix box. Thumbnail previews in the task bar are too small to see what's going on in them. Can't find a configuration file or gui to change that.

Honestly, there is nothing really 'new' here. I'm just on here because they are probably going to release IE8 and the next version of IIS and only have it available to Vista.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The latest is not necessarily the best, as is often the case when a new Microsoft OS hits the shops, my advice for what its worth is to stick with XP for a couple of years (Microsoft are providing support till 2014 for this OS) which shows to me that Vista is going to be the last Microsoft major OS for a heck of a long time, When Vista has its first service pack (sp1) available then it could be worth switching over, however i dont think all the big software houses are going to ditch XP for sometime yet, although they will be developing for the future with regards to Vista in the long term

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a breif spell with Vista on a seperate partition with a friend's copy and I was glad I didn't buy it. I found it to be no different to XP for my daily tasks (though I did only use it for a few hours), but it just had a huge amount of crap laid on top of it.

Useless crap, might I add. I was subjected to no less than 4 "Are you sure you trust this software?" dialogs while installing Firefox and 3 of the same confirmation boxes trying to install Windows Live messenger, one of their own bloody applications. "More secure" my foot, Microsoft are just trying to cash in on paranoia of the ignorant.

Until DirectX 10 comes along (which I hear will be exclusive to Vista? Please correct me if I'm wrong) I'm going to be happily using XP.
    Edd Morgan
    Cake Media Studios, Wokingham UK

Ashes to ashes, zeros and ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's just say.. thank god it won't be my main partition...

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I recently built myself a new pc and ordered a new WinXP Pro license with it...this way I'll get my Vista upgrade (hopefully soonish, Microsoft's shipping is slooow)...I guess I'll no jump the gun though when it comes to installing...first thing I'll do is check the websites of all my components' manufacturers as I don't intend to run a Vista install with old/interim/standard drivers...

On another note: I'm still not sure whether I "need" all the stuff that's included or possible (e.g. video as desktop background, etc)...but sooner or later it's the way to go...at least for me...
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingoal View Post
    Well, I recently built myself a new pc and ordered a new WinXP Pro license with it...this way I'll get my Vista upgrade (hopefully soonish, Microsoft's shipping is slooow)...I guess I'll no jump the gun though when it comes to installing...first thing I'll do is check the websites of all my components' manufacturers as I don't intend to run a Vista install with old/interim/standard drivers...

On another note: I'm still not sure whether I "need" all the stuff that's included or possible (e.g. video as desktop background, etc)...but sooner or later it's the way to go...at least for me...
    Well.. you might wanted to take a look at this:
    http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=37676

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just built a new tower for myself... it's rather high end (About $3000 spent). When it came to the time where I had to chose an operating system, I chose to purchase XP.

Like everyone said, Vista must first work out it's kinks. Id prefer others to find the problems, rather than myself. I dont have time to deal with them just because I decided to give Vista a try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's funny how when every new OS comes out from Microsoft, you get the same exact things from users of the previous version...

I'll wait for the first service pack....i'll wait for a year....and eventually it becomes....I'll wait for the next OS....

To be completely honest, I would just get Vista and deal with the updates as they come....I still have XP and am awaiting my university to release Vista Ultimate this week so I can install it.... no OS is perfect at first but it's not like they won't provide updates.... If you are an XP user, you still continually get updates every month so what's the difference?

If you are really that weary about getting it....just get a Mac.
    Last edited by aconic; Feb 5, 2007 at 01:27.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the XP computer....all the recent computers made now are Vista compatible. You should wait for Vista to come out and get be on the market for a bit. Games and softwares are not yet optimized for Vista.
    Alex Basov / VP of Site Representation
    GLOBAL INTERACTIVE, LLC. / High CPM Rates / 100% Fill Rate
    AlexB@GlobalInteractive.com
    http://www.GlobalInteractive.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just the software that's a problem, there's a lot of hardware that won't work either and the manufacturers in many cases aren't releasing new drivers as they want you to buy the new version of whatever it is they're selling.

I borrowed a Vista laptop and plugged everything in to see what would and wouldn't work. If I switched over, I would be going out to get a new colour laser, a new B&W laser, new scanner, new photo printer. It didn't like my wireless kit but I think that can be fixed with some work. The only thing that just kept on running was my USB external hard drive.

Unless I win the lottery next week I'm sticking with XP Pro.
    SMILE! everyone will wonder what you're up to.
    Site - under construction - again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been hearing nothing but horror stories about people with Vista so far. Installing to wrong partitions, incompatible software, buggy drivers. I'd wait a year or so before upgrading. I mean I have a mobo that is 2 years old and one of the best out there still, and the chipset hasn't even been updated yet. Manufacturers are partly to blame in all this too

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NRLMedia View Post
    It's funny how when every new OS comes out from Microsoft, you get the same exact things from users of the previous version...

I'll wait for the first service pack....i'll wait for a year....and eventually it becomes....I'll wait for the next OS....

To be completely honest, I would just get Vista and deal with the updates as they come....I still have XP and am awaiting my university to release Vista Ultimate this week so I can install it.... no OS is perfect at first but it's not like they won't provide updates.... If you are an XP user, you still continually get updates every month so what's the difference?

If you are really that weary about getting it....just get a Mac.
    I live with 5 other guys in a rented house, and 3 of them have installed Vista over the last week, and all three put XP back on this weekend. XP is established and all the MAJOR bugs have been worked out over time. This isn't the case with Vista and there's so many incompatibility issues with software and hardware that there's no way you can call it stable right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely I will stick to XP
    I'm not a risky person, so I will need some time (could be a year) to upgrade and when I will upgrade, I'm sure my computer hardware won't be a trouble since it's kinda new
    Oh, and I assembled my computer last year, it runs vista without problems till now
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil ..
    .. is for good men to do nothing"
    Edmund Burke.

SitePoint Enthusiast Webmaster7's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on what you need. I read that even graphic software is running slower on Vista, than in Xp. Maybe that will be fixed soon, but for now Vista isn't a great alternative. I only switch OS when they are mature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're using Visual Studio 2003 or 2002 you may NOT want using Vista.

Q: Why support Visual Basic 6 and not Visual Studio.NET 2003 on Windows Vista?
    A: Visual Basic 6.0 is still being supported because that upgrade is more difficult. Microsoft is committed to making the developer experience on Windows Vista as simple and productive as building application on Windows XP is today. However, Visual Studio 2003 or earlier would require many changes that make that experience worse. Customers will find that upgrading to Visual Studio 2005 will not only improve their developer experience but make developing on Windows Vista easier.
    See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa948854.aspx

That said I installed Vista on another partition without any problem related to drivers whatsoever, my system is 2 years old.
    Jean-Luc
    Corobori WebDesign
    Working in the Concepcion area, Chile, since 1999
    Follow us on Twitter

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole development and release of Vista has been a joke.

I got sick of waiting for Vista and in the end I spent my cash on a Macbook Pro and switched over to Macs. It's by far the best descision I ever made. Everything "just works" and you don't need to wait for services packs to come out. OS X is great right out of the box. Plus, if you really want you can quad-boot OS X, XP, Vista and Linux if you really wanted to. There is just one version rather than five and it's a lot cheaper than Vista and XP.

Unless you're a gamer do yourself a favour and switch to Mac.

And, no, Macs aren't more expensive, there's just no such thing as a poor-quality Mac.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: license cost

Quote Originally Posted by DrQuincy View Post
    And, no, Macs aren't more expensive, there's just no such thing as a poor-quality Mac.
    If you own a license of Photoshop and Illustrator for Windows can you switch to the Mac version or do you have to pay a new license ?
    Jean-Luc
    Corobori WebDesign
    Working in the Concepcion area, Chile, since 1999
    Follow us on Twitter

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corobori View Post
    If you own a license of Photoshop and Illustrator for Windows can you switch to the Mac version or do you have to pay a new license ?
    Ask Adobe, I do believe they provide some kind of cross-platform discount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would wait a year before upgrading or atleast a couple of months.