User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would suggest XP for now.
    Do you want a web site that really works for you ???
    http://www.drapdesigns.com/

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am intending to buy a new Dell PC since i think it would probably cost lesser compared to building my own custom box.
    apparently, all new Dell computers, in fact, many other brands, have Vista installed.
    So I will have to use Vista and take the risk of having software conflicts?

SitePoint Evangelist webfreebies's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    What an idiotic statement. With a software program like Parallels, you can buy a Mac and take your M$ software along for the ride.
    What's so idiotic about it?

If a person has invested hundreds and hundreds of dollars on software for an OS he already has, why on earth would he then spend another $1K to buy a new machine, just for the sake of running it on an O/S he doesn't have? Why wouldn't he just spend the $150 it costs to upgrade?
    Retro-Ads.net- vintage ads from the 20s-80s.
    NYC-Pics.com- free photos of NYC

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webDressing View Post
    Actually most people reading this thread aren't using vista, and we are all chatting quite well...

For those having trouble installing vista, click here. They will show you how to correctly install it in only 2 minutes
    LOL - I think YouTube.com is the only website benefitting from Vista.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webfreebies View Post
    What's so idiotic about it?

If a person has invested hundreds and hundreds of dollars on software for an OS he already has, why on earth would he then spend another $1K to buy a new machine, just for the sake of running it on an O/S he doesn't have? Why wouldn't he just spend the $150 it costs to upgrade?
    Because he's tired of seeing hundreds of dollars of software operating below par on a Windows platform?

What you seem to be saying is that millions of people are effectively held hostage by Microsoft. That was indeed true in the past, but it is becoming increasingly easier and less expensive to migrate to Apple (or Linux, for that matter).

Why would someone want to spend $1K on a Mac? I spent $3K because I wanted a nice computer. I figured if I had to hang to my PC software, then I could always install Parallels. I have no regrets - except that I waited so long to switch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because he's tired of seeing hundreds of dollars of software operating below par on a Windows platform?
    Huh? Who said he was *tired of seeing hundreds of dollars of software operating below par on a Windows platform*? He never said that at all. In fact, he is pro-Windows, so why would you even make a statement like that?

What you seem to be saying is that millions of people are effectively held hostage by Microsoft.
    No, YOU are saying that, purposely taking a very common sense observation about consumer buying habits, and twisting it around to mean that. Most middle class families or individuals on a tight budget aren't going to spend an additional $1K for the sake of upgrading the O/S, when they have a perfectly good machine they have already invested hundreds of dollars in in the form of upgrades and software. It's not called being "effectively held hostage" by Microsoft; it's called making the most on an investment.
    Last edited by webfreebies; Feb 22, 2007 at 17:00. Reason: mistake

SitePoint Enthusiast webDressing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

If a person has invested hundreds and hundreds of dollars on software for an OS he already has, why on earth would he then spend another $1K to buy a new machine
    Well first it's not $1000.00, it's 599.00 - big difference. Secondly the reason why they'd want to do that is because that other operating system (OS X) runs any software, will never crash, has better human engineering behind it, comes with a host of other incredible software, has better overall quality control, does not need DLL's for installing programs, will not get viruses, will not get spyware and has a load of features that vista STILL doesn't have, and that's just the beginning Half of the features that Microsoft is raving about in vista have been in OS X for years, and the new version of OS X is due out very soon will have even more exciting new features that microsoft hasn't even dreamt up yet. But don't worry, in 4 or 5 years I'm sure microsoft will copy those features, as they usually copy most things off Apple, and then put them in their next operating system. Of course by then you would have ended up paying well over a grand in microsoft updates for what Mac users are enjoying today for half the price (and it also comes with a free computer at that price)

Oh and don't forget, with Mac you can run BOTH operating systems, with micro$oft you can only use one memory hungry, virus prone, spyware magnet operating system. Hope that answers your question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webDressing View Post
    Well first it's not $1000.00, it's 599.00 - big difference.
    What is 599.00? There are Macs for $599.00?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

LOL Yeah, there are Macs for only 599.00. They've been around for years and they sell over 300.000 units of them each month, every month, for the past two years. And in case you think they're stripped, think again 'cuss they're not. We had a custom PC built for us (rack mount) that had the best graphics card, tons of memory, the fastest processor, etc. everything was top shelf, and their Mac mini blew it out of the water, seriously That was when we started to take a closer look at Macs and we haven't looked back since. BTW - we still have that expensive PC paperweight, but we rarely have any reason to boot it up

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most middle class families or individuals on a tight budget aren't going to spend an additional $1K for the sake of upgrading the O/S, when they have a perfectly good machine they have already invested hundreds of dollars in in the form of upgrades and software. It's not called being "effectively held hostage" by Microsoft; it's called making the most on an investment.
    Last summer I was due to get a new computer. My budget was about $1300. After looking at quite a few laptop vendors, Apple actually came out pretty favorably in the price/performance/features comparison (and I'm a fairly harsh critic when it comes to the kinds of laptops I'd buy), so I bought a Macbook.

Apple's a pretty good option right now if you're due for a computer upgrade soon and are tired of Windows, especially since Windows can run virtualized. If you just bought your PC last year, maybe not so much.
    What is 599.00? There are Macs for $599.00?
    http://apple.com/macmini/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    It always amazes me how much they pack into that little Mac mini. It would be really cool though if they had a Pro version. I'd pay a premium for it if they did. We'll be getting a new Mac mini the day the new version of OS X is released

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny... I just logged on for the 1st time since a week or 2 ago, and my thread has 138 replies :P.

Anyway, I ended buying the computer 2 days before Vista came out with XP on it. I got XP because there is a lot of software I use that would not vbe compatible with Vista without any problems.

Then I checked 2 days later when Vista was out, and Dell didn't even offer XP anymore on custom machines. I'm glad I didn't wait.

-Brandon

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yourhostnow View Post
    Funny... I just logged on for the 1st time since a week or 2 ago, and my thread has 138 replies :P.

Anyway, I ended buying the computer 2 days before Vista came out with XP on it. I got XP because there is a lot of software I use that would not vbe compatible with Vista without any problems.

Then I checked 2 days later when Vista was out, and Dell didn't even offer XP anymore on custom machines. I'm glad I didn't wait.

-Brandon
    yea you are right. Dell are not offering the XP systems anymore.
    i had just ordered a Dell machine last week and they will be sending over tomorrow. it is going to be on Vista and i am getting worry if i will have a lot of problems with compatibility issues.