User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying a new computer: Vista or XP?

Hey Sitepoint.

I'm buying a new computer in early fabruary, after Vista is scheduled to be released.

Tell us your opinions on which option you would take:
    • Buy the computer with Vista installed
    • Buy the computer with XP installed, and later upgrade to Vista
    Post your opinion here, and give some reasons, etc. How stable will Vista be? Will most software work (or not work) with Vista?... or at least cause problems? Would you wait for the first service pack to come out? Will there be much hardware problems running Vista? How quickly with XP be outdated?

This should be a good discussion, and it will also help me decide what to do when I buy a computer next month.

Thanks,
    Brandon

The I's for intelligent silver trophy iTechno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO there is only downsides too upgrading to Vista unless you want to play Halo 2 on the PC, Vista won't be that stable but XP isn't either, I'd recommend XP and considering Vista in about a year. Better the devil you know then the one you don't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, it's a good idea to give a new OS a year or two to work the kinks out before installing. Currently, both IE 7 and WMP 11 are creating some havoc with third party software on XP. I imagine that Vista will break even more of the software you are currently running so be prepared to buy lots of updates for those too.

Bottom line . . . there's nothing that Vista offers that I want so I'll be sticking with XP for a good long time to come. And if MS pushes, I'd probably go to Linux before I'll get locked in to an ever more restrictive Windoze OS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How quickly do you think it will take for Vista to be the norm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will depend how stupid and gullible users are.

Some people just have to have the latest thing. Most of the rest don't have a clue what goes on inside a box and will just take whatever comes with a new computer when their old one dies. So I would say your answer depends on the computer death rate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a gamer, I play alot of computer games so, if I was going to buy a new PC - I would choose XP (for now) as Vista isn't supported with alot of games.

If you are not a gamer, I would buy Vista or even move to Macintosh, yes, Mac!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yourhostnow View Post
    How quickly do you think it will take for Vista to be the norm?
    I work at a major North American retail office supply store and we have 1 desktop left and 5 notebooks. The next batch we are getting in will be all Vista, so its not how fast, its just a matter of when. Come February, you will have a hard time finding XP pre-installed on a PC anywhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Come February, you will have a hard time finding XP pre-installed on a PC anywhere.
    That's about the time I'll be on eBay buying another XP Pro disk to install over Vista (if I don't build a custom box).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will recommend XP. Because there are lots of games/softwares that aren't working well on VISTA. Even my favorite game "CallOfDuty" is not working on VISTA

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll wait at least until the first service pack come out, then re-assess
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. — Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by earther; Jan 23, 2007 at 17:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earther View Post
    And if MS pushes, I'd probably go to Linux before I'll get locked in to an ever more restrictive Windoze OS.
    gag! that what I'm trying to do... Its not that I want to, theres just too many problems with windows anymore... I have my laptop set up to dual boot...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good idea would be to download the vista upgrade advisor: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...r/default.mspx

This is a tool designed for current machines to see if they are able to run vista, and what conflicts may be present. It's a good tool to see what applications and hardware you currently use that will not be ready for Vista.

I also agree with everyone ahead of me in thsi thread, let the early adapters deal with the bugs and glitches, wait a year (or until the first service pack comes out) and upgrade to vista.
    The Camera Bin - Bargain Priced cameras and camera accessories.
    Welcome to '07.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend XP over vista for the same reasons as I wrote in this thread:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...6&postcount=13
    [mmj] My magic jigsaw
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Bit Depth Blog · Twitter · Contact me
    Neon Javascript Framework · Jokes · Android stuff

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy linkin99's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I saw that posted on another forum.

SitePoint Member thistransition's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't think that it is worth the money.. yet. xp is much cheaper and is known to work perfectly fine with most hardware. i am not getting vista until it shows me lots of features that i can't live without. eventually it will become better than xp, but not yet.
    on my computer, i am dual booting ubuntu and xp, and i love it.
    i agree with Sagewing, i'm probably gonna wait for the first service pack
    -thistransition
    musicleech.com

Always A Novice bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iTechno View Post
    IMO there is only downsides too upgrading to Vista unless you want to play Halo 2 on the PC, Vista won't be that stable but XP isn't either, I'd recommend XP and considering Vista in about a year. Better the devil you know then the one you don't.
    Tomshardware.com shows significant performance drops in vista for gaming. Don't forget though vista has alot more going on in the background (a good thing for security). Vista does however have faster benchmarks for things such as compressing files. Dont give up on vista though.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people will buy it right away because they have to feel special for having the latest stuff on their computer. Then I will be the special one when they are begging to use my computer because theirs got hacked by VistaLaBam worm.

Never upgrade to a new software espically if it comes form Microflaw. I am always a few years behind them. I just now got office 2003.

At the local ice cream shop their cash register still runs on Windows 3.1 hahaha! They have to put in a different floppy disk for each new item on the menu. The other day they couldn't find the disk for banana split so I got it for free. I love that place. I hope they never upgrade.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went out and got Vista yourhostnow and IMO it's a good o.s. if you do just the basics on the p.c. like surfing the net, multitasking and a few few heavy processes here and there, music, video... etc

The downside to it is that it really requires ram and a good cpu and last but not least a power full videocard. I would recommend that you purchase a computer that comes with vista because the hardware will be designed for it rather than get a pc and upgrade to vista because the hardware may not work soo great.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, good thread! Yes, people should at least wait until Microsoft releases Vista's missing components (i.e. "Service Pack"). But the last sentence in IT's post says it all: Better the devil you know than the one you don't.

I think I read that Microsoft plans to continue supporting XP for about five years, yet I THINK I also read about a third service pack that may not be finished/released. At any rate, if Microsoft doesn't (or can't) clean up its act with Vista, I suspect the computing community will keep XP alive for as long as it takes.

In the meantime, there's never been a better case for abandoning Microsoft. I spent a fortune on my MacBook Pro, but I'm enjoying it far more than I've enjoyed any of my Dell PC's. I even abandoned my plan to use the infamous Parallels software program to run Mac and Windoze side by side. I don't want to take any chance of M$ screwing up something on my Mac.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recommend Windows XP for now.

Vista doesn't have 100% backwards compatibility, and right now most games and software aren't certified to work on it, let alone your hardware.

The only thing Vista has going for it is DirectX 10, which Vista should be able to make the most out of compared to XP, but I think DX10 will be possible in XP as well -- but as with many situations, if the programmers don't take advantage of the OS and hardware (ie, like how many games still don't support dual core CPUs or SLI/Crossfire configurations), then you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron.martone View Post
    The only thing Vista has going for it is DirectX 10, which Vista should be able to make the most out of compared to XP, but I think DX10 will be possible in XP as well -- but as with many situations, if the programmers don't take advantage of the OS and hardware (ie, like how many games still don't support dual core CPUs or SLI/Crossfire configurations), then you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
    Unfortunately, Microsoft is making DX10 to run only on Vista. I think they claim "technical inaccuracies" in Windows XP being the reason, but its obvious they are forcing people to upgrade. Luckily, John Carmack agrees DX10 isn't really necessary:

Quote Originally Posted by John Carmack
    Personally, I wouldn’t jump at something like DX10 right now. I would let things settle out a little bit and wait until there’s a really strong need for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I saw that article. Carmack says DX10 isn't necessary for his line of games yet, but I wonder how the other game developers move to adopt. We've already seen popula....er.... UNpopular companies such as Ubisoft move towards a philosophy of developing for console and then porting to PC until DX10 is easily available.

Both their Splinter Cell flagship and Rainbow Six flagship (Double Agent and Vegas) were rated as among the worst ever made simply on the technical failures of both games. I myself have both and fully agree. The games are horrid.

----

I had no idea DX10 was Vista only. Ugh.... just another ploy probably for Microsoft to promote Vista into the economy. Well, like I was saying, I'll be getting a game later this year -- there should be a more solid review on Vista's abilities and shortcomings by then.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Unfortunately, Microsoft is making DX10 to run only on Vista. I think they claim "technical inaccuracies" in Windows XP being the reason, but its obvious they are forcing people to upgrade. Luckily, John Carmack agrees DX10 isn't really necessary:
    Hasn't carmack also been using a really old engine for his games that he doesn't want to make more modern?