SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ajax content and search engines

i have implemented my first ajax script which pulls content from an external php file. i was surprised to see that this content is not viewable via "view source" and so also not viewable for search engines. i guess that makes sense though

what do people do to create an "alternative" content that is also viewable by search engines. are noscript tags the way to go?
    I need someone to protect me from
    all the measures they take in order to protect me

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Content viewable by Search Engines

What you do is create your whole web page assuming the user does not have Javascript enabled, and make sure it all works (although it doesn't have to be perfect!). Then you create the nice Javascript effects, things like replacing the default behaviour of links and menu items to allow for Ajax to do page updates, etc...

Then the search engines will view your site as normal.

Dave

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwees View Post
    What you do is create your whole web page assuming the user does not have Javascript enabled, and make sure it all works (although it doesn't have to be perfect!). Then you create the nice Javascript effects, things like replacing the default behaviour of links and menu items to allow for Ajax to do page updates, etc...

Then the search engines will view your site as normal.

Dave
    Otherwise known as "progressive enhancement" which is how all JavaScript should be handled.