SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question To Ruby on Rails or not...

I would like to re-create a Fantasy Sports website. Very basic for maybe 200 users. What I need to do is just have users pick 4 or 5 players that they think will finish at the top of the event. And after the event, I will enter in the results and have it run some calculations to distribute points to users.

In your opinion, is this something that would be easily created in RoR or PHP. It would just require some simple DB calls and some background mathmatics.

I know very basic PHP, do NOT know Ruby...yet. Would this be something that Ruby would be perfect for, or not?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello jlvd!

It can be done with both PHP and Rails but I have to say that lately you'll have much quicker result doing it Ruby on Rails.

For all the user management you'd like to look into the Engines and the User Engines for the registration and all.

PM me if you'd like more pointers.
    Jean-Marc (aka Myrdhrin)
    M2i3 - blog - Remind-M

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say go for it with RoR. I started out learning PHP and was not a fan of it, I felt like I was back in a computer science class.

I started messing around with RoR after picking up the book 'Agile Web Development with Rails' and it's all I've been using since.