User Tag List

Thread: vb.net

Mlle. Ledoyen silver trophy seanf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vb.net

I used to do some programming in Visual Basic and I am quite interested in finding out about VB.NET. What are the differences between VB and VB.NET? Will you be using it or are you going with C#?

Sean
    Harry Potter

-- You lived inside my world so softly
    -- Protected only by the kindness of your nature

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VB.NET has all the object oriented features required by the .NET platform, but maintains familiar VB style syntax wherever possible.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, do you think it is a worthy member of the .NET family? Visual C++ has always seemed to be superior to VB for Windows programming, will .NET level the playing field?

Sean
    Harry Potter

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by seanf
    So, do you think it is a worthy member of the .NET family? Visual C++ has always seemed to be superior to VB for Windows programming, will .NET level the playing field?

Sean
    That Visual C++ is superior to Visual Basic all depends on your point of view...

If you mean in terms of execution speed and overall capabilities, then yes it is superior and you can see that in that it is used for most applications.

However Visual Basic has its place as well. It is easier to rapidly deploy applications with Visual Basic. I have actually built and deployed VB applications in less then 24 hours before. Visual Basic also makes it easier to build simple interface applications and provides easier means to connect to data and manipulate.

So we should say that Visual C++ offers better performance and capabilities to your application. However Visual Basic provides a shorter "Time to Market". Which is superior depends on your needs at that exact moment. I think the same will continue for some time. Whether C# replaces Visual Basic in the long run remains to be seen, especially since tens of thousands of companies are running Visual Basic applications as part of their everyday arsenal now.
    Last edited by Hierophant; Jan 9, 2002 at 16:41.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good points Wayne! Yes, I was talking in terms of speed and capabilities. I have one more question, which depends on a lot of variables, but in your opinion would you recommend VB or C# or would you recommend learning both?

Sean
    Harry Potter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what language you're most comfortable with. In your case, as a VB programmer, it would make sense to move up to VB.NET.

Because of the nature of .NET, VB.NET and C# are going to be equal in terms of execution speed and capabilities. They'll both be compiled to MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) and run on the .NET CLR (Common Language Runtime). Both will have access to the same set of libraries in the .NET Framework.
    Kevin Yank
    CTO, sitepoint.com
    I wrote: Simply JavaScript | BYO PHP/MySQL | Tech Times | Editize
    Baby’s got back—a hard back, that is: The Ultimate CSS Reference

ALT.NET - because we need it silver trophybronze trophy dhtmlgod's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hav to go with what been said so far, but have one thing to add.

C# is M$'s C for the .NET platform, and if I remember right, it can be written in notepad, and complied like VB.NET, simply using the Run... command in the start menu. As for difference, they both run on the same framework, and use, as Kev said, CLR. Thye both have access to the same objects and classes.

The main reason C# was created was to allow C and C++ developers a familiar way to start developing for the .NET framework.

In essence, there will be no worry of C# replacing VB.NET because they can both do the same thing, just using different syntax and C# is more strict when casting variables.

Interestingly, I came across this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...plications.asp

Could be fun !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also see a strong future for VB.NET as the language of choice for ASP developers migrating into the .NET environment. Since VBScript will not be available in the .NET environment, I would think many would be more comfortable using VB.NET which is not all together that different then VBScript in syntax then using C#.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Borrowed from one of Kevin Yank's posts-
    NET is Microsoft's new platform for Windows and Web application development. .NET is a big collection of Microsoft server software and development tools that have all been designed to work together. The idea is to make things easier for today's developers who face increasing demands to produce products that go beyond the bounds of traditional software development.

At the heart of .NET is the Common Language Runtime (CLR). All .NET programs (be they Windows applications or Web pages written in ASP.NET) are compiled ahead of time into Microsoft Intermediate Language (MSIL) files. From the point of view of a Windows user, these files look and behave just like Windows .EXE and .DLL files; however, instead of being written in machine code suitable for native execution in Windows, .NET programs use a set of instructions that are understood by the .NET CLR. The CLR sits on top of whatever operating system the user happens to use and translates MSIL into native instructions that are understood by the operating system.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com