SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

<C²: web standards /> cybercodeur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know what happened to www.dhtmlcentral.com?

Hi everyone.

I've been using www.dhtmlcentral.com and its predecessor, www.bratta.com for a long time now and it came to me that the site is not available anymore.

It hasn't been accessible for three days now. Does anyone know why this is? I hope someone can reassure me that the site only is temporarily down, not that it has died officially.

This site has been a unvaluable source of information in ressource in my Web development. I can hardly imagine dhtml life without it.

Hope someone has inside info on this.
    Denis Boudreau <C²/> - Web Standards & Accessibility
    [+] ICQ number: 115649885 || Email: denis@cybercodeur.net
    [+] Daily Weblog on Web standards and accessibility : CYBERcodeur.net

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a quote made from a different forum on Jan6...

it looks like some people missed the notice, Bratta said that he might have to close DHTMLCentral because it isn't making any cash, just using it up. I hope it is just a server prolbem...
    So my guess is that its either a really big server problem lasting a few days, or the site has gone down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn... That would be a great loss. Can you tell me on what forum that was?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's the case, does anyone had the brilliant idea to back up his DHTML scripts? And in that case, would they be kind enough to share the zip files?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

damn

anybody got the coolmenu3 tutorial?

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's up again...

With this sad piece on the front page:

As most of you know the internet business is no longer what it once where. Currently this site provides no income at all which is the main reason that I have not been able to use the time needed to finish and keep the site updated.

The hosting expenses (due to the high amount of computer power and bandwidth the site uses) are now to high for me to handle. If someone out there is able to get some cheap but good hosting for this site I might rearrange the site and move it there, if not I am afraid I will have to take down the site

Too bad though, because I really think the host I have now is great.

<deep voice>This is an extremely bad thing. Thomas Brattli is one of the most talented Javascript authors ever, and this site is one of the site that MUST NOT fall into oblivion due to the adverting downfall.</deep voice>

Therefore, I hereby suggest that SitePoint host Thomas Brattli, in exchange for a "Hosted by SitePoint" graphic or something, and Thomas writing articles on JavaScript for SitePoint. I would, as a reader, absolutely love to have him as an author on SitePoint.

... or some variation of the above solution - just save his work, dammit!

You can contact him at webmaster@bratta.com
    Last edited by M. Johansson; Jan 9, 2002 at 12:12.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Wanna-be Apple nut silver trophy M. Johansson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oooh - He updated 5 minutes after I posted...

Hey all. I didn't mean to sound so melodramatic by writing that I was thinking about taking the site down and then the site went down the next day.&nbsp;I had a unplaid bill that made my host take it down, it's fixed now and we're back up.

I did get a LOT of mail from ppl wanting to help with my hosting needs which is great and I really appriciate it. I haven't yet decided what I am going to do about the hosting, but now I have atleast a month to think about it so we'll see what happens.

Other news:
    I am working on a new version of the coolMenus. It started out as the light version but now it has almost all the features of the main version (with the exeption of the frames), the main difference is that it actually WORKS cross-browser. I am going to work on more tonight and have up a test version probably later tonight.
    Last edited by M. Johansson; Jan 9, 2002 at 12:26.
    Mattias Johansson
    Short, Swedish, Web Developer

Buttons and Dog Tags with your custom design:
    FatStatement.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think truelight's idea is very clever. If SitePoint can somehow host and help Thomas Brattli, I firmly believe they should do it.

The guy has been an inspiration in my Web life and lord knows what i'd be doing if it weren't for the likes of him.

He is definitely one of the most talented web developer I know and i support truelight when he says his work just cannot slip into oblivion.

Having him as part of the community would only shed more light on Site Point with the quality of the material he could write in here.

I truly hope this plea will not go unheard... After all, just how much spoace does the guy need? It's only bandwidth that really costs him. I am sure StePoint can do something about this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good news!!
    Written 01/12/2002 by Thomas Brattli

I found a company, or actually they found me, that will pay for the hosting expenses for this site. They will pay on a year to year basis, which means basically that this site is saved!

What can I say, thanks A LOT colinRiley! Check the info page for more information about this sponsorship and about the company. Feel free to send the president Jim Hicks a mail to thank him or post a message in this thread

This is really nice for me because then I can use my time on other things then getting money for the site. The basic needs are covered. I have already started to work on some updated for the site and I am getting close to finishing the new CoolMenu light. I'll be working all weekend so be sure to check back for updated.

http://www.dhtmlcentral.com/news/?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its looking good also. Haven't been there for a while and the re design is a big improvement 10 out of 10

Si